Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Gmax UI

One of the biggest hurdles of Gmax for me is getting around all of the uneeded and unused rollups, menus and features. I understand that you can customize the UI to get around this. My problem is that I don't know what to keep and what to toss. It appears that you can save a custom UI in Gmax as a .CUI file. I have three questions about this: 1) Is it possible to share that file? 2) Has any spent the time to pare down the UI in Gmax to just show the FS2002/CFS2 essential tools (and hidden the junk we'll never need or use)? 3) Is is kosher to ask for a copy of that UI file and would anyone be willing to share? Thanks, Dave

Guest cwright

Dave, as no one else has replied I thought I'd jump in. Unfortunately I can't help a lot. The reason is that I really like the default UI! I'm certainly not troubled by unused rollouts because if they're not used they're not visible! In fact one of the nice features is that only the appropriate rollouts appear depending on what you're doing. However, I use 1280*1024 screen resolution, so the menus and icons are fairly small and don't use up much valuable screen space. Under the Customize menu item choose Show UI, and you can uncheck some of the toolbars etc. That'll give you a *very* uncluttered display! The one thing I have changed is some key assignments. I assigned the object move, rotate and scale commands to M, R and S - exactly the same as FSDS. I also assigned the view move, rotate and zoom commands to three adjacent keys. It allows me to manipulate objects and views very quickly. By the way, for a really uncluttered view, just hit CTRL-X (don't worry, it won't delete anything!) This removes everything except the top menu strip and the view windows. Hit CTRL-X again to return to normal. Best regards, Chris