Sign in to follow this  

Hey you lawyers ;)

Ok, well, I'm wondering what the legal implications are (if any!) of modeling a vehicle from a movie - for example, an x-wing fighter - for use in FS 2002, and for free distribution.Any info? No guesses please. I can't afford assumption fees right now :)Andrew

Guest CX001

An X wing has been done, and it hasn't been taken off of flightsim.com yet, so I figure it's ok, as long as you're not amkiing a profit. I am not a lawyer, so I am in no way sure.

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,I'm not a lawyer neither but I've spotted a Paramount effort to shut down any web site dealing with "Star Treck" and their try to get all softwares with an LCARS interface to be banned from the net. There are 3D models available of Star Wars and Star Treck and so far I think they are still available.Hope it helps!

Hi,It would be copyright infringement for you to distribute a X-wing or anything else from a movie, unless of course, you have permission from Lucasfilm, or whatever entity it is that owns the copyright to the X-wing. It DOES NOT MATTER whether you're doing it for free or for profit. If you don't have permission, it's copyright infringement.Now, in reality, Lucas probably won't do anything, it's just too much trouble to hunt down every unauthorized item based on Star Wars.While there is certainly a need for copyright and trademark protection, I think it's getting way out of hand. I read yesterday that the term "Wright Brothers" has been trademarked, along with almost anything else to do with the Wright Brothers . David Rawlins

I figured as much... oh well.Thanks,Andrew>Hi, >>It would be copyright infringement for you to distribute a >X-wing or anything else from a movie, unless of course, you >have permission from Lucasfilm, or whatever entity it is >that owns the copyright to the X-wing. >>It DOES NOT MATTER whether you're doing it for free or for >profit. If you don't have permission, it's copyright >infringement. >>Now, in reality, Lucas probably won't do anything, it's just >too much trouble to hunt down every unauthorized item based >on Star Wars. >>While there is certainly a need for copyright and trademark >protection, I think it's getting way out of hand. I read >yesterday that the term "Wright Brothers" has been >trademarked, along with almost anything else to do with the >Wright Brothers . >>David Rawlins