Sign in to follow this  
Guest eko

Spherical Geometry

Guest eko

Eric, the RADAR gauge is just BRILLIANT! The HUD is super as well, nice to finally have a decent one I can add to fighters, but the RADAR gauge just totally stole the show. And I love the way the details show up on the HUD too. I am VERY impressed. I loved your AIRBUS gauges and this is just another fine piece of work. Truly excellent.Would it be possible to extend the range of the RADAR to, like, say, 80miles? Or is this something that would involve a lot of re-coding? Or is it even feasible?

Guest eko

Well, I decided to make this gauge a little more stand-alone, so I could add it to any panel I want. I am using Buddy K. Guy's RKG buttons so I can call it up as a "MINI_CONTROLS_PANEL" window wherever I want... that won't ever conflict with anything. :)This allows me to place a button on the main panel to call the window, and then I have a transparent button on the window bitmap which closes the radar window. (The X on the left bottom button.)I added the mode and zoom buttons to it, so it is basically a "stand-alone" radar unit. I am not at all that happy with the quality of the bitmap I needed to use, so if anybody has a better, similar bitmap which I could work with Photoshop, I'd appreciate it if you could e-mail me a copy. (jspx@mac.com)Eric, you could release this as a stand-alone add-on with the right good looking bitmap. I could package it and write some installation instructions. :)Here is a shot of it installed in my A-10.http://www.lovett.org/jsp/pub/fs/radar.jpg

I use VC++ 5.0.I'm sorry that it doesn't work for you. C programming is not that easy. I did this for years for my work, so it is relatively easy for me (it is my job...), but I understand that it is complex for someone who discovers it. VB is much easier, but unfortunately you can not develop gauges with VB.Did you try XML gauges?Eric

Thanks for your compliments !!Today, it is not possible to extend the radar range over 40 NM, because it is based on the information provided by FSUIPC. For performance reason, it is limited to 40 NM, and only Pete Dowson can change this. In my opinion, 40 NM is enough, and it is quite realistic compared to the performance of real aircraft radars.EricVisit my web site

I like the concept of having the radar in a separate window. It helps in integrating the radar in panels where there is no room to put the radar.I think the window graphics are OK. If you want to release the modified panel, or just the additional panel window, I'd just like to see it before giving you my authorization to release. If you prefer, you can send me what you did (including the documentation) and I'll publish it for you. As you wish...EricVisit my web site

Yup dude, I tried both XML and C gauges (BCC55 compiling). I think it may get easy if you once get the hang of it. But that might be the most difficult part (at least for a beginner), to get the hang of it...Well the FS crashes, maybe it has to do with Win XP, I know there are some problems which have also been discussed in the Aircraft and Panel Design Forum.But damn it, I won't give up, until I have my (really MY, not a tutrial) first working gauge ready to fly.Hehe it's gonna take some time til I make some of the complexity of yours... :-hah You're doing very well.Keep it up man!Kind Regards :-wavehttp://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpg

Guest eko

What I think I'm going to do... is write some instructions/tutorial on how to add windows and toggle buttons using one or two of the default aircraft as examples. I'll probably use the King Air, Mooney, and Baron. With that information in hand, the end-user should be able to figure out how to add it to any panel they so wish.I'll keep in touch Eric, and I'll update you as to my progress in writing this thing out. Also, no problem with the RADAR range, I was just curious if it could be extended or not.

>until I have my (really MY, >not a tutrial) first working gauge ready to fly. Well, I do now! It went faster than I thought!There were as usual some XP problems, frozen progress bars in FS, program crashes, computer reset knob hittings *:-* but the result is there, yeah. :-beerchug:9 Way to go!http://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpg:-newbie

Guest eko

Ok, it's done. Stand-Alone window version of the Radar gauge is available in the library now. :-)

Do you mean that you uploaded your package including the gauge?If so, I'll check the AVSIM library to see it appear...Warning: As I had some problems with Rick Rossner (webmaster), your files may never appear because it contains my gauge. We'll see...Eric

Guest eko

Eric, I just checked all the places I uploaded and it is available at all of them. Flightsim.com, Avsim.com, and FSFreeware.com. All three places have it now and are listing it.I see that downloads are quite brisk. I knew your RADAR gauge would be a huge hit... it's really a fantastic add-on... great work Eric!!

It should actually be an Angle of Attack indicator. An Angle of Attack (AOA) indicator is an indispensable item for certain aircraft that must move at a fast rate to avoid stalling (like a delta winged Mirage). The objective in landing is to get get in position so that the VASI lights (or meatball on a carrier) are where you want them and then to keep the center circle illuminated in the angle of attack indicator. Its all effected by speed, weight, rate of descent, etc.This type AOA indicator typically displays five situations, 1) nose too low, 2) nose a little low, 3) right on (as in the image above), 4) nose a little high, and 5) nose too high.