Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Rookie needs help! (Take shot of Jack before opening!)

Well, I can't even do a 'follow the steps" plane and get it right! Hi folks, Don Moser. I tried to make the Pinewood Derby plane in the FSDS guide. I got it together (duh) and made the model (Beaver) I moved the whole project and rotated it so all the gear sat on the main horizontal line as I do with a house when making a macro. (except I don't tilt the house....YET!) The program generates a completed aircraft and puts it in the FS2002 aircraft folder just fine. When I go to fly the plane, it falls thru the ground and crashes. When I use "slew" to launch it, it lands and turns itself into a sbuterraining mole with wings and finally crashes deep in the ground. What did I miss in a 6 step plane? Thanks folks!Don

Don,I just saw your post.Did you get you problem figured out?Paul B.KSMS/KSSC

Hi Paul! No I didn't buddy! I gave up on help! LOL!! I don't know what I can be doing wrong. I do know this. When I go to choose what aircraft I want to make it fly like (mdl) when I pick the Extra 300, it's all zeros, but will not let me change the numbers in it. When I hit editor on the bottom, it says it can't find FS98 or CFS. I hope it doesn't, they aren't there to find. I know it's something simple, but I can't get past it. ANY help would be appreciated!!! Thanks for responding Paul.Don

First of all, don`t line up your aircraft with the datum at your wheels. The datum should go straight through your models s

Thanks guys. I can do scenery, but this is a whole 'nother world!Don

It works. I have never been so happy to fly a "corndog with a stopped prop" in all my life. Time to move on and see what else I can do with it! Thanks!! :)Don

Don,Try loading the Extra in FS2k2, pause, load your plane (still paused), check the height above/below the ground, reload the Extra, edit the height of your plane (wheels location) in FSedit,save, reload your plane. I use this sequence to get the wheels to sit properly on the ground. In designing the plane, I usually set the origin at the (Z)leading edge of the wing and through the (X)cenerline of the plane, and through the (Y)thrust line.Paul B.KSMS/KSSC

OK, I will try that. My wheels are a little off, but close. This will be good practice. I can see sleepless nights just around the corner!Thanks guys...I'll be back with more questions. I have downloaded Daves tutorials and will try to work off them and see how far I get. There's a lot to this. Every time I take on another aspect of this hobby, I keep gaining more and more respect for those who do that particular piece. This is just great!Thanks guys!!Don