Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

assigning FX for engine start up????

Is there any way to assign an effect for the engine startup smoke? I have read the FX sdk, but found nowhere that answers this. Can it be assigned in the aircraft.cfg file? ThanksAl

There are two ways I know of, neither them being the best one, but they would suffice until someone tells us how to do it.1. Take an old a/c, without the 02 lights on it, and assign a smoke effect to one of the lights, and then put it at the engine, that way, for example; you use fx_smkpuff_m.fx and tie it to the landing lights and if you put the smokepuff effect at your engine, then when you turn on your landing lights the engine will have a puff of smoke.Complicated? Yes. Wasting light effects? No, you can have many many light effects, then when you turn on landing lights the engines would puff and the lights would come on.2. Try your best to turn the jet engine into a reciprocating engine. The FS2002 dynamic engine or whatever seems to instantly tag the effects onto reciprocating engines, i.e. C172, DC4, etc. as long as the .air file and the aircraft.cfg say the engine is a propeller type engine. A while back I downloaded an old FS98 jet and when I started the engines a puff of smoke came from the plane. Of course I was confused and I looked and the jet plane was edited to be a prop-driven plane. Don't try anything else. It won't work with turboprops, helicopters, definately not gliders, and I've never gotten the rocket option to work, so I don't know.

It can be done via gauge as long as no other effects use the smoke system in the aircraft.cfg. For example:IF ? Engine is reciprocating ( burning Jack D. :-) ) "and" RPMs are between lets say 450 RPM and 1000 smoke is on, otherwise off.If? engine is turbine ( burning "Coleman" lantern fluid :-) ) and N2 is between 10 and say 35 % smoke is on, otherwise off. If you want to pursue this course just reply, with the new style XML gauges, it would be easy to accomplish. Roman(KGRB)

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Spokes, I would love to know how to do that, although I have no clue how to make XML gauges, or any type of gauge for that matter. But I think it would be great if you showed me hoe!

Brad, The best way to start is to search the library here for xmlgau01.zip by Arne Bartels.. Next would be to search the forums say as far back as Dec.01 for any thing containing "XML". 3rd would be, after reading XMLgau01.zip is to pick apart the stock gauges to see how they tick, and finally, the Panel SDK from MS.. Very little there.Here's a little example of a code to turn on the smoke sytem for a single engine recip. during start up "if" it's willing to start. BTW I think FS2002 provides little "puffs" on a G-Max piston aircraft automatically, could be wrong..____________________________________________________________________ (A:General eng1 starter, bool) (A:General eng1 rpm, rpm) 450 > (A:General eng1 rpm, rpm) 520 < (Eng1 combustion, bool) & & & if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } _____________________________________________________________________Note, the way it looks here on the forum is different since HTML has processed it. On paper the " < " would be " & l t ; " , the " > " would be " & g t ; " and the " & " would be " & a m p ; ". All without the quotes and remove spaces between characters. This code has not been tested and is just theory. In a nutshell it says If the starter is on "and" RPM is over 450 "and" below 520 "and" the engine in a scence has fired, if all that is true then smoke is on, otherwise it's off.Happy XML programming :-) Regards,Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap