Sign in to follow this  

Sweet Smell of Success!

Well, I just put the finishing touches on a KMC 225 Autopilot, done completely in XML. It's a neat feeling having accomplished this without losing more than a few hours sleep... :)There sure isn't a whole lot of information available about displaying "string" information in XML, so I had to do a *lot* of experimenting...

I don't know what this autopilot works like. Any screenshots?Yeah, strings can be confusing to say the least. I'm not able to assemble a complex string function fom scratch, I have to start with something similar, then work from there.

>I don't know what this autopilot works like. Any >screenshots? >>Yeah, strings can be confusing to say the least. I'm not >able to assemble a complex string function fom scratch, I >have to start with something similar, then work from there. I know what you mean. Once enough examples are completed and released, it should make it easier for all of us!The first pic is the "real" KMC 225 AP, the second is my actualization of it (showing clearly some of the compromises I had to make):

>Fr. Bill, >> Feels great, does it not ? Yeah,, how about a screeny :-) >>Strings --- Trial and error, and using Arne's Format >specification(s) docs is about all we've got. Still looking >for a book with good references. I'm giving some thought to starting a resource center on one of my websites to collect all the scattered information I've been able to find into one spot, along with examples that've been done already.Here is a quick pic of the P1 console and the avionics pedestal. All the bitmaps are 'prototype,' as I'm waiting for Warren (my graphics partner) to do the polished bitmaps. Starting from the top:Engine Gauge Cluter (new XML)KMA 28 (new XML, still haven't solved the 'missing' k_events)KFC 225 AP (new XML, need to change display to gas-plasma orange)KMD 550 MFD (Garmin 'holding space' until new XML BK built)KLN 94B (Garmin 'holding space' until new XML BK built)KX 155 x2 (working prototype in C++, to be redone in XML)Following this is a pic of the real avionics pedestal for comparison.

>Engine Gauge Cluter (new XML) >KMA 28 (new XML, still haven't solved the 'missing' >k_events) >KFC 225 AP (new XML, need to change display to gas-plasma >orange) >KMD 550 MFD (Garmin 'holding space' until new XML BK built) >KLN 94B (Garmin 'holding space' until new XML BK built) >KX 155 x2 (working prototype in C++, to be redone in XML) I already have a KX 155 for both units if you're interrested, with "working" (as far as I know anyway) autodimming feature. I might discard this though, as the calculations will definately help in bringing the system down. Fun to have done though :DA KT76A transponder, with flashing interrogation light, mode selector and "ident" function, is also 95% complete, as far as I want to take it anyway. The decrease code function was somewhat tricky, as these are among those dreadful forgotten K:events.And lastly a KR86 ADF with card. The real unit doesn't support 0.5KHz separation, neither does mine - but that was only my own limitations :DAs for the KMA28, let me know if you have any luck with transmit select through xml. Maybe the best solution would be xml the complete gauge (with a tiny transparent area), which reveals a C gauge underneed that does the transmit select function?I don't know those other units. I tried placing a standard GPS on a virtual cockpit, and all I got in return was a big gaping hole? Maybe there is a problem with map overlays, but I don't think this is possible with xml anyway.I haven't bulletproofed my code yet though, maybe there exist some weird bugs within.

>I already have a KX 155 for both units if you're >interrested, with "working" (as far as I know anyway) >autodimming feature. I might discard this though, as the >calculations will definately help in bringing the system >down. Fun to have done though :D >>A KT76A transponder, with flashing interrogation light, mode >selector and "ident" function, is also 95% complete, as far >as I want to take it anyway. The decrease code function was >somewhat tricky, as these are among those dreadful forgotten >K:events. >>And lastly a KR86 ADF with card. The real unit doesn't >support 0.5KHz separation, neither does mine - but that was >only my own limitations :DYes! Please! It would cut down on the development time considerably. There's absolutely no point in two people doing the same work. Full credit will be given to any author/programmer in the completed project, of course.When I 'fix' a couple of niggling little 'bugs' in the KFC 225 and add the reworked bitmap, I'll be happy to share that with you. It may prove useful in one of your projects as well! :) >As for the KMA28, let me know if you have any luck with >transmit select through xml. Maybe the best solution would >be xml the complete gauge (with a tiny transparent area), >which reveals a C gauge underneed that does the transmit >select function? There are two possible solutions. The author of XMLSound volunteered to create a little .gau that will replace the missing k_events. Otherwise, the 'kludge' you mentioned is under consideration.The former would be preferrable, since unused k_events in FS could be 'translated' into the proper k_events...>I don't know those other units. I tried placing a standard >GPS on a virtual cockpit, and all I got in return was a big >gaping hole? Maybe there is a problem with map overlays, but >I don't think this is possible with xml anyway. The KMD 550 is a multi-function display, capable of displaying a real, moving-map sectional chart. I am not *even* going there! I plan to simply provide standard GPS display with the photoreal bezel.The KLN 94B displays the GPS information normally seen using the menu mode of the default GPS, arranged to show one waypoint at a time. The pilot can scroll through each waypoint at will to see his/her status.There is a working KLN 90 (in C++) that is currently installed, and I have the B/K .pdf manual to provide more information. (kln90bro.gau!gps50)All of these though, are the "easy" ones to do. On the far right of P2, exists a deceptively simple gauge: an EDM 700 EGT/CHT unit. There is a 'bar graph display' of each cylinder's EGT/CHT. The entire unit is controlled by only TWO buttons! Obviously, I won't be able to model each cylinder's values, but perhaps I can simulate differences by use of a randomizing variable. There is also a digital display of the averaged data under the bar graph.What do you think of the idea of creating a "one-stop shop" resource and sharing website? The way it is now, one has to spend nearly as much time finding information as he/she does actually working! :(

I just dropped you an email, but I can't send any files until I get your address.

>I just dropped you an email, but I can't send any files >until I get your address. Which you've had now since earlier this morning... :)Along with a zipped copy of the KMC 225 AP unit I've done.I've got the preliminary art work done for the KX 155A COM/NAV radios, but got stuck on the freq. display strings... BCB to decimal? Why in God's name would they do something so silly? :)

Package arrived well and sane. Well done btw. The mail with attached stuff is being sent as I write, have fun :)