Sign in to follow this  

XML Gauge question

Guest danowat

Hi All,I have been trying to make some gauges in XML, using the baron ones as a `Template`.I have made a RPM gauge which works as I would like, but know I want to have a numerical display of the RPM as well as the needle ,on the same gauge.I can't seem to figure out how to do this.Thanks in advanceDan.

Dan, Take a look at the Baron clock, It will show you what a "string" is..A can do many things, just as you described and more. But... Not having the right "syntax" can lead to problems. An example may be...%RPM = %((A:General eng1 rpm, rpm))%!6.2f!%Where, when printed out in the locaton as described by the tags / (other... X= /Y= /Axis etc.... ) will give you the always visible "RPM =" followed by the RPM number printed in the format where there are 2 significant digits after the decimal... (The print code... IE !6.2f! ) The only place ( I know ) so far to inquire about print codes is what Arne has provided in XMLgau01.zip here at the AVSIM library. Just an example and not tested..A string has a different "syntax" overall than does the the normal XML style and if not done correctly may foul things up badly. Try and experiment using a variable you need... I.E. RPM Hope this helps... Regards,RomanProject 737-400

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest danowat

Hi Roman,Thank you very much for your response, I will have a go tonight when I get home.Also do you know of any xml gauge tutorials?.I find it quite infuriating that xml gauges seem to be easy and very difficult at the same time.Best WishesDan.

Guest danowat

Hi Roman,I tried it last night, and it works like a dream.ThanksDan.

>%RPM = %((A:General eng1 rpm, rpm))%!6.2f!% Hi, Roman!Actually, since RPM gauges rarely require such precision, !6d! will work better. Note the "signed integer, d" instead of "f", since no decimal precision is required.The "unsigned integer, u" could also be used, since RPM rarely goes negative... :) But, it also has the unfortunate effect of being left justified, which just looks strange!You know, having a precision graphical display of CHT/EGT sure puts engine management into better perspective. I am going to try programming in the EDM 700's optional display of "shock cooling" temperature, along with a couple of other neat features, such as "Find Lean," a tool used to determine the optimum leaning for mixture, that will balance the EGT/CHT across all cylinders.I'm not going to bother with the 'Fuel Management,' on the EDM, since I've got to create a Shadin Fuel Management System anyway.See ya later, bye! :)

Guest bartels

In my experience a format in float has some advantages, mainly it includes a proper rounding. If you use !...d! the decimals are cut away, if you use !... .0f! it is proper rounded (the same effect is possible with a 'near' as last operation before printing and a !d! format,of course).Arne Bartels

>In my experience a format in float has some advantages, >mainly it includes a proper rounding. If you use !...d! the >decimals are cut away, if you use !... .0f! it is proper >rounded (the same effect is possible with a 'near' as last >operation before printing and a !d! format,of course). >Arne Bartels Thanks for the additional insight, Arne! It's much appreciated...I'm beginning to get the 'hang' of XML gauge construction (I hesitate to actually call it 'programming')!! :) I find that I'm able to put even something as complex as the EDM 700 CHT/CGT gauge together in just a couple of hours...