Sign in to follow this  

EDM 700... Is it real, or is it Memorex?

I've been working on a completely new gauge. It is a EMD 700 CHT/EGT gauge which displays CHT for each of the six cylinders and the Oil Pressure in bargraph format.Under the bargraph, the left digital readout is the average CHT and the right digital readout is the EGT.Since FS doesn't actually provide individual CHT, I had to "simulate" the variations by specifying slightly different linear tables.There is quite a bit more that this gauge *can* do, but with only two function buttons, it's going to be a bear to program!Would anyone care to guess which is real, and which is Memorex... I mean, FS? :)

Guest Dee Waldron

Nice job!The one on the left is the real one. (?)Dee WaldronHistoric Jetliners Group

>Nice job! >The one on the left is the real one. (?) >>>Dee Waldron >Historic Jetliners Group You win the prize! Actually, the 'give away' is the font for the digital readout. FS's 'italics' lean way too much and cannot be used in such a tight display area... :)Also, the bar graph on the real one doesn't move 'up and down.' Instead, the little 'bars' illuminate one segment at a time as each cylinder's CHT rises. An future 'improvement' will be to make the bar segments static, and move a mask up/down instead.Also, the "missing bar" on the six left graphs, represents the EGT for each cylinder, which I haven't programmed yet... that's on todays list of things to do.One of the most difficult things to do is to decide when 'enough is enough already!' and move on to something else. I want to release v 2.0 of the Socata TB20 Trinidad panel by the end of July.My goal is to use *no* default gauges, and to avoid as much as possible using anyone else's work. All the bitmaps are actual photos; not 'photo real' and most certainly not 'hand drawn.'Thanks for the compliment, Dee!

>Well, it actually looks cool, but the differences between >the cylinders could be a bit more, eh? ;-) >>Regards :-wave from EDDF Yep. I'm working on an idea to generate a random variable that can be applied to the actual value...Right now, the linear table approach is what I'm using. I made a boo-boo in my description though, the bar segments are EGT/cylinder. I've just added the CHT display, which is represented by a 'dark segment'. I just made a sliding mask to cover one lighted segment to simulate that.Thanks for the observation.

Guest Dee Waldron

I'm just babble'ing out load here, so if I don't make any since please forgive me...But Lycoming engine's number their cylinder positions front to back and TCM does theirs back to front. So a Lyc's hottest cyl's would be #5 & #6 (on a TIO-540) and #1 & #2 for a TCM (i.e.: TSIO-520).Will this setup only be for Lyc's then? Just wondering. :-)Dee WaldronHistoric Jetliners Group

>I'm just babble'ing out load here, so if I don't make any >since please forgive me... >But Lycoming engine's number their cylinder positions front >to back and TCM does theirs back to front. So a Lyc's >hottest cyl's would be #5 & #6 (on a TIO-540) and #1 & #2 >for a TCM (i.e.: TSIO-520). >Will this setup only be for Lyc's then? Just wondering. :-) This EGT/CHT gauge has been developed (is still being developed?) for a Socata TB20 GT, equipped with a Lycoming engine. So, yes... sort of. It could be just as easily adapated for TCM by re-calibrating the linear tables within the XML code.Actually, IRL the 'hot cylinders' change from #5 & #6 to #'s 1&2 on descent... :) Makes life more complicated that way!The "real" gauge has a function called "Lean Find," which, when activated will flash the dot over the first cylinder to reach "leanest" first. Pressing the SET button will store that value, and then the pilot simply enrichens the mixture until the desired EGT is reached, depending on cruise condition.For obvious reasons, I cannot model this particular feature! :)