Sign in to follow this  

Terrain following radar

In the contexte of developing a terrain following radar, does anyone know how I can get the ground altitude in front of the aircraft (0.5 or 1 NM ahead)?Any clue would be apreciated.

Huh, I have my doubt this is possible, because FS seems to determine the current ground altitude by lat/lon of the a/c. Well and I haven't seen any other way to get this scenery information into a gauge...Well, but if you'd indeed find a way... WOW!Would of course be the best addition to your F-16 radar. :-)Good luck!Etienne

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi, actually it looks to be possible in a way, Flight Line Avionics provides a minimum safe altitude and a minimun enroute safe altitude along the flight plan course. Would be great in the F16 too!

Guest eko

An AI Radar gauge that has terrain information (Shoot, even a seperate guage would be great) would just be absolutely out of this world. (eko is now a VERY big fan of Eric) :-)

Thanks to you all for your answers.It appears that the best way to retrieve this information is through the scenery. I should contact scenery designers to have the answer to my question. If some of you know a expert in scenery design, please give me his e-mail address. Anyway, I'll ask my question on the scenery design forum.

I guess the ones who accomplished it did the following: They sought & found a function within the flightsim DLLs that computes the ground altitude for a given position. So they calculate the desired position to monitor and call that function. Perhaps simple if you know what to call.Good LuckDoc

This solution would be great, but I don't know how to find such a function.If you give me a function that returns the ground altitude for a given position, I'm happy !!!Eric

I volunteer to NOT be the test pilot... sounds like there will likely be some 70's F-111 terrain following radar error repeats in this process. *grin?*