Sign in to follow this  
Guest CRJ700FO

autoland

autoland randomizes the touchdown point to help save wearing the same piece of runway all the time. Is the above true?JimCYWG

Never heard of that before. Autoland is done by the aircraft and I am pretty sure it doesn't know where the aircraft ahead of it landed. Plus any last second change of winds can make the aircraft float or descend quicker making it really hard and dangerous to hit a specific point on the runway.

I've never heard of it either. Autoland is controlled by the aircraft's equipment. Ground equipment only provides guidance information to the aircraft.

Guest PARADISE

Never heard that one either. 'Autoland' is about a precise an approach that there is. It wouldn't be too precise if the outcome was random.John M

Guest tallpilot

Autoland is designed to land at the 1000ft point down the runway (the large white allweather marking) as guided by the ILS glide slope signal. The acceptable tolerence is 500ft before or after that point. The autopilot with make corrections for speed or wind to remain within that tolerence.Ed Weber

I guess some sort of dither could be applied to the glideslope signal, but how many autolands are actually done that it could possible make a difference?scott s..

Guest CRJ700FO

>autoland randomizes the touchdown point to help save wearing>the same piece of runway all the time. >>Is the above true?>Jim>CYWGsince usually the airport authorities brother owns the concrete company that resurfaces the runways with their familial contracts, i would guess no. :)