Sign in to follow this  

Iges, kow it was done?

Greetings,Hard question. About 9 years ago when the enterprize I worked for went to electronic drawings, we set about converting all of our hand drawn ink drawings to digital. I wasn't envolved in the process, big company. But I seem to recall an outside company was taking the ink drawings and scaning them and then converting them into an "iges" digital drawing format. I have the free download of ProE and it will import an iges drawing into a standard projection three view drawing. From the three view drawing it can then construct a 3D model.MY QUESTION: Is software modules available that would take the three viewing drawing similar to the drawing found at http://blueprints.flightsim.ru/?c=11&t=14 and convert it into an iges file? No need to scan it as we did, just use the digital drawing as it is. Sure we would have to "line" up the three views up correctly, but that would be easy work. After making the 3D model in ProE, export it to gmax for the skin/textures. Just a thinking and wondering if any one is doing it. It would save a great deal of time in creation of the 3d model.BobThe CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif

Guest Pascal_FFG

So far, I've found no freeware tool that both generates or import iges fileformats.Uniques solution I found is to convert IGES files to dxf via professional softs I've access to, and then import them via the dxf import tools that exist.As for the treatment of scanned images, you'd need a rasterized outside fileformat (HPGL) and proper softs that would convert raster fileformat to EPS or DXF. Some tools are ewisting, but problem remains the same, I dunnot know any non-professionnal(and frezeware) tool that generates HPGL fileformats.So, no easy solutions I fear

Guest danowat

Hi there,Well it is possible, I have and use quite a lot (I do 3D modelling for the packaging industry), and old free DOS-based raster to vector conversion utility.You could use this util to convert your "RASTER" file (BMP) to a "VECTOR" format (DXF) then use that as a basis to construct your 3D Model in your chosen package, It works well for what I do, weither it works from what you want you'll just have to try it.If you want the util let me know and I can mail it to you.Dan.

Many thanks Dan!We are rsam@mtco.comBob