Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Some help REALLY appreciated

Guest Heather 636

G'Day y'all!I just completed an elaborate repaint of a Grumman Duck; well, almost completed.That solid window REALLY bugs me. Makes it look unfinished. I intend to learn this "Alpha" business in the near future but just too many irons in the fire at this immediate time.Would it be possible for me to send this texture file to somebody who knows how to make a clear window and have them send it back to me?As a second alternative, how about pointing me out to the tutorial, "Alpha for Dummies," and I REALLY mean dummies. You know, the step by step type of instructions. Maybe even a little exercise to show you how to do it.I'm just so wrapped up in other "chores" at the moment that the former alternative would be preferred. But I'll appreciate any help I can get.Sincerest regards,Heather

Ah, THERE it is. Heather, that's a wonderful piece of work. I take back my 'garish' comments - that's just eyeboggling, which is quite different.One thing you can't do, though, is create an Alpha texture for a model that isn't made with the ability to add in an alpha channel. I'm no aircraft maker but as far as I know, this one isn't. Therefore you would be better to adapt the kind of technique used by someone like Barry Blaisdell (see his latest DHC-8 upload) to create the illusion of transparency, rather than expect to drill a real hole in your fuselage. Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. Mmmm.... the cockpit windows are transparent, of course, so transparency is enabled here one way or the other ... but I expect you would need to have the model file remapped to a changed or new bitmap to achieve the extra transparency you require. Now I think I'll just shut up as I don't have the foggiest clue what I'm talking about.http://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Heather 636

Hmmm . . .I was afraid it would be more involved than I thought. Okay, will just have to live with the "primered over" windows. I've done all I can do with my limitied knowledge in this field.At least I can put this one to rest now, knowing I've done all I can do with it.(Working on a white one now!)Thanks Mark. Appreciate it.Cheers!Heather

Send me the textures Heather.... I can make em Transparent as long as they are in 256 color format only. there is a tool that comes with FSDS thats allows that. also make sure the color you want to use for the windows does not appear anywhere else on the texture or it will also be transparent. actualy just send me the whole bird so I can test the actual transparencies in FS so I get the shading right. Send it to.... Briglad@aol.comBrian

Guest Heather 636

Sorry Brian for only now getting back to you; been busy trying to finish these two repaints of the Grumman Duck.Don Moser had beat you to it and provided a texture with a "clear" window. What I did not forsee is that the original model has no interior or floor. Thus, with a clear window, it's like looking through a billboard to the scenery behind. Not acceptable. Looks like we stay with the flat gray window.Nonetheless, I certainly appreciate the offer of help and have no doubt that I may cry out again in dire distress in the very near future! ;)The repaints are now done (again *). All I have to do now is figure out how to package them up for the AVSIM library without upsetting the original author; of whom I have been unable to contact after repeated attempts. Cheers!Heather* I'm one of those people who will call something finished only to come back to it half a dozen times to tinker some more until it REALLY is finished.