Sign in to follow this  

757 nose and the dvc

Hi everyone!I started my 757-200 gmax project yesterday ( total amount of work is under 20 mins ) and i wasn't quite sure how much detail i should use in the model so i ask from you guys :). I haven't done any aircraft modelling before, only scenery (http://efhk.cjb.net).here is two image attachments one of the nose and DVC. Is there too many legs used for the nose or does it need even more?And is there any other improvements?Thanks.

Beautiful work, could you give me some pointers? I'm working on a 737-800, and I don't have a clue about animation (other than animating in GMAX, don't know how to make it work MSFS2k2.

Guest Milton

I am certainly no authority on this topic as I am just finishing my first aircraft in Gmax. I can say this however.My aircraft and virtual cockpit currently are showing 39,000 poly's and I will probably end up with around 43,000 when completed.This number will seem high to FS2000 modelers and those designers who have been doing this for a while.What I can say with authority is this. On my 350mhz 384M Ram system with a PCI 32meg Radeon, I do not get even a 1/2 FPS hit with this size aircraft.It seems that makemdl does an excellent job at optimizing before the compile and the poly count has negligible effect on FPS.Now, with that said, I have found that once I apply all the textures I see about a 2 FPS hit where no hit was visible before. My textures are heavy at 1024 and 512 and there seems to be no major performance hit between 32 bit textures and DXT3 with alpha channel, even though the DXT3 requires 1/4 the size of the 32 bit textures.My fuse was done 18-sided and if I knew what I know now, it would have been 24 or 28. The second thing I would have increased would be the engine nacelles. The cost of those two improvements would be minimal relatively speaking and the visuals would be much more pleasing.I have around 1700 poly's in the fuse with all the amenities, most of which came from the 34 windows being added.A note worth keeping is when "punching holes" in the fuse for windows or doors using Boolean operations, convert to editable poly first. When done, convert back to editable mesh. This will save a lot of new faces and prevent the shading issues that sometimes occur. Now, with all that said, if you use up all the power of the cpu to render the aircraft, what are you leaving for the cranked up sliders and the add-on's? :-)Good luck on your project.Milton

Guest hawaiian_flyer

THAT IS GONNA BE ONE SWEET JET!Ill be waiting for that!Mahalo!

Guest cwright

Toni, that looks excellent, even more so as it's your first aircraft project. I agree with Milton. Gmax aircraft seem to have very good frame rate performance. My design has 22000 polygons for the exterior model and 40000 for the virtual cockpit, but on my 800 Mhz P3 frame rates are fine. By the way, you can check the number of polygons in your own design. Click on the Tools icon (the hammer near the top right of the screen) and click on the Polygon Counter button. Good luck. Best regards, Chris

Thanks :).The fuselage is about to be finished. After optimization as many as 50% of polygons can be removed from the model, so don't worry if it looks quite detailed at the moment :).

Guest hawaiian_flyer

WOW! again!Are you gonna be making textures/ or a paint kit for the beauty?Take care!Aloha!

your 757 looks like its coming along really well! i cant wait! are u going to add opening passenger doors, and cargo doors?if you do you should have the cargo doors open on SHIFT+E+2, and the two catering doors on the back open on SHIFT+E+3, SHIFT+E+4...and obivously the two front main passenger doors on SHIFT+E (is it the same as SHIFT+E+1?)