Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Rotating wheels

Guest jlwoodward

How do you make rotating wheels? I have FSDS and AA, and just downloaded SDLedit. All the tutorials are about retracting gear in various forms but nothing about rotating wheels. I am probably overlooking something simple.Thanks,John Woodward

Guest Dee Waldron

If you have the very latest edition of SDL Edit, it should include a tutorial (small one) on doing rolling wheels. It really is easy to do and you can probably figure it out for yourself once you get into the Rolling Wheel dialog window.Dee WaldronHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest Heather 636

If you get it figured out, would you please tell me?I an nearing the release of the Improved Grumman Duck and it would be great to be able to get this feature on it.Good luck!Heather

Guest Dee Waldron

What part of it are you having trouble with?You can e-mail me at home: 71124.3643@compuserve.comI'd be glad to help you out. :)Dee WaldronHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest jlwoodward

That must be the problem- I must have downloaded on old version. The link to the website in the program does not work, so I will start searching for it. Maybe somebody could post a link?Thanks,John Woodward

Guest jlwoodward

Found it, it is version 2.12. It seems easy to use once you figure out the sequence of steps to go through. So far I got one wheel to rotate, but when I tried it on the others they showed up detached from the aircraft, either above or below it. Something is changing or not accepting the y coordinates. Any ideas? I will keep working on it.John Woodward

Guest Firestriker

Heather,Is the "Duck" you are working on in FSDS or gWax?

Guest Dee Waldron

Double check your XYZ axis coordinates. It's really important that you copy them over correctly. Also, make sure your XYZ axis piont is in the geographical center of your wheel. You can move the axis point of your part in FSDS by holding down the Shift key and mouse drag it around just like a normal part.Does your model have retractable or fixed gear?Hope that helps some. :)Dee WaldronHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest Heather 636

Hi Lou!I'm not really sure, not knowing the difference, unless gWax means GMAX. Then definitely the former.Did you get my email?Cheers!Heather

Hi,Also make sure you copy the "Axis for SDL Editor.tpi" file I supplied to the FSDS plugin folder... After you set your axis points of the part in question, which is the actual rotation point of the part. Execute the plugin from FSDS and all the axis points are copied to a file which SDL Editor uses. Then select the part from the pulldowns labeled "axis select" in any of the motion dialogs.This way you dont have to copy them by hand . the tpi file is in the sdl editor folder..this part was included in the program after i wrote the tutorials..try to do all the tutorials accessed from the help menu, this will help a lot...Sorry about the link to the site being gone,, It was a free site but now its gone..But Im glad you like the program.. :)Happy ModelingMike Crosthwaite

Oops . almost forgot... Make sure if you are modeling in feet or meters, that you set SDL Editor to the same in File/Options.This is a common problem tha causes all kinds of wierd things to occur in the finished model..Happy ModelingMike Crosthwaite.

Guest jlwoodward

Went through the model and checked all the axis locations, then deleted all the macros, and started over. This time it worked fine. I must have missed something simple, who knows what, but now I am a happy camper.Thanks to everyone,John Woodward