Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Just Starting..

Guest Fly1

Well, I am going to give it a go. I have always wished there were more "Homebuilt" aircraft available, so therefore I thought I might try my hand at GMAX.Attached is a sample of a test I have been running just to get accustomed to GMAX.This is the first time to try and post a picture. Will it work? Hmmmm...BC

Guest Fly1

Appreciate the good word. I think the one of the hardest things for me will be trying to keep the facet count to a minimum. I do like those smoooooth curves though.Thanks again!!BC

Guest Fly1

It is really just typical shapes tossed together as a test. I'm debating on putting cheeks on the cowl (ala RV) or pretend that it has an auto conversion. Put a few air intakes ...I flew KR2's for a while, and hung around a lot of the other homebuilders, and played with the notion of designing an aircraft someday. Therefore I read many of the design books, and got the basics. Played with a couple of 3D programs, but back then it was a chore to get a shape the way you want it. I worked this up in an afternoon. GMAX is a nice program. I wish I could afford the full 3DS MAX.I would like to do a model of the KR2 I had, N50482. What a beauty. Not the usual pudgy little plane you see most often. This one was a very sleek and well proportioned plane. With the gear up it was like a small fighter plane. A poor mans Glassair. I miss it!BC

Guest Reddog

Seen a few KR's around. Understand they were hard to land? Wasn't there a tri gear version of that too.I had a homebuilt for a while, darnest thing you every saw!!! All metal Biplane, t-tail, tri-gear, open cockpit, VW powered 55 horsepower,right out of the car,direct drive to the prop,single ignision,stock VW carb. Cruised around 100mph at something like 3500RPM, takeoff and landed about like a C150 but this had no flaps.Tiny thing I think the wingspan was only like 15 ft good thing it had two of them!!LOLhttp://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/596406.jpgUSMC Retired

Guest Fly1

I also had a VW conversion in mine. Dual plugs, bored cylinders to 65 hp, crossover exaust, and a forged crankshaft. It would do about 150-160 knots. On the ground it purred like a Porshe, not the usual chucka chucka of a typical VW. Mine was a tail dragger, with no flaps, and was a handfull to land. It was so clean it didn't want to bleed speed easily, so I would tend to slip it in and wheel land it. Very touchy operation.The KR original retract mechanism for the main gear was pretty poor. One day when I was on a long cross country I had to abort a take off, and tapped the brakes to slow down, and the gear folded underneath me. Luckily it did minimal damage. But I refit it with a fixed gear, then sold it. Now I fly the sims. At least now when I crash I just hit reset.BC

Guest Fly1

It was in Sulphur Springs Texas. I was trying to fly from Houston to Oshkosh for the annual Fly In. A friend of mine and his beautiful KR2 were on our first fuel stop. When the gear failed I wanted to pull out a pistol and shoot it! I had just finished several months of work in preparation for the trip. I was fed up. We had to fly back to Houston in my friends plane, get my trailor and drive back to Sulphur Springs. Took the wings off, and trailored it back to Houston.I had many good hours in it before I sold it. Someday I may get another homebuilt, something a little more sturdy though.BC