Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

Effects problem

Hi, I've added this effect to my aircraft. It simulates hot exhaust gasses when the aircraft is stationary. However, if you look at the views, it looks good except from the front where it just shows as bright white. Does anyone here know what is wrong?Many thanks.

When you view it from the rear, if you pan the view up to about the same angle as when you view it from the front, does it still look correct or does it glow then?

The simple answer is no. Looking from the front, it glows. Then as I pan up the front view, the glow starts to clear and eventually dissapears when nearly vertical. Panning up from the rear view to vertical does not glow. Having experimented some more, this is a problem when the effect is assigned to a light and does not happen if assigned to smoke section. Therefore, in certain directions (explained above) the effect must be illumunating. This is a pity as assigning to different lights, I can write XML gauges to control effects under different aircraft conditions. This may also be linked to sprite type, i.e. 19 or 21.Thanks

That's pretty weird. It shouldn't turn white unless you're using additive textures and their cumulative color adds up to 255,255,255. Since it only does it from the front, I guess it is a bug. Or are you assigning the effect to the landing/taxi lights? Landing/taxi lights should be bright when viewed from the front.

The effect was assigned to wing lights. The bitmap used was Texture=fx_1.bmp and the colour was Color Start=180, 180, 180, 20Color End=190, 190, 190, 25. Type=19 does not give the illumunation but Type=21 does. Using [Emitter.0] only, that is, using just one Emitter.

See what happens if you assign it to beacon or nav lights, just for testing.