Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuff

Looking for assistance with gmax trailing edge flap des

Guest cbuff

Good morning everyone.I have a question regarding how to best design some trailing edge flaps for my gmax Lockheed L-188.The entire model is done with virtually all texturing completed as well. I have been able to figure out the prop effects, rolling wheels, suspension, etc...everything except my flap action. While I was successful at using the default L/R_flap tag for normal flap pivoting, I have been unable to duplicate the sliding action while it pivots.Could anyone describe a keyframe animation or some other tagging method for a flap that slides out of the back of the wing while it deploys?Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached a jpg of the project so that you can get a feel for what is needed.Sarnac

You can use either l_flap_key or r_flap_key for trailing edge flaps. Or you can use l_pct_lead_edge_flap0 and r_pct_lead_edge_flap0 for leading edge flaps. Either way you will also have to set this up in the .cfg file as animation alone won't do it. Refer to the default 747,777,737 on how to do this. The animation variables are located in the MakeMDL SDK (page 17)..Rick Sasala

a VERY IMPORTANT point when using Sliding (position) keyframes (as opposed to rotational keyframes) is to Never use 0 as the start keyframe.. ALWAYS use keyframe 1 or it just wont work in FS

Guest cbuff

Thanks for the quick response. I have grabbed the make mdl sdk and reviewed the tag specifics. I also took a look at the 737 cfg file and I see the reference to the flap positions.Please excuse my ignorance but I am a little fuzzy on the process. Do I create flap animation by moving the flap object, tagging it using the l_pct_trail_edge_flap0 for example? Regarding the (l_pct_trail_edge_flap0): Do I have to assign a value for the _pct_ part of the tag? (ie. l_(15)_trail_edge_flap0? etc. Or does it take the _pct_ from the actual flap position described in the cfg file?Am I just creating an animation effect for each flap pivot position after moving it to the rear edge of the wing? Or is the flap pivot still initiated automatically by FS using the flap tag?Again, sorry for the lame questions but as this is my first FS2002/gmax effort, I am trying to catch up on the learning curve. Thanks for your patience and help!Sarnac

Guest Milton

Sarnac,First name the flaps l_pct_trail_edge_flap0 and r_pct_trail_edge_flap0.Prior to animating, set position keys for each flap stop dividing the time percentage wise to timing of flap deployment and percentage of total deployment. (For example: 0, 15, 25 and 45 degrees would be 0%, 33%, 55%, and 100%) So, position keys could be at time 33, 55,and 100.When animating, you will probably need to set the Local pivot a few feet below the leading edge of the flap to give you a nice sliding, drooping, curving motion.Now, animate. Move the time to the 1st key (33) then move the flap to where you want it at 15 degrees, then move to 55, move the flap to 25 degrees, etc.In the aircraft.cfg, simply set the flap degree positions to agree with your animated stops and set your times, pitch and drag effects. In FS, the 15 degree movement will take your flaps to your 1st position key (even if you mistakenly set 1st position at 5 degrees). The degrees in the .cfg is for the flap gauge not the animation. The flaps-position.1/2/3 tie to the model animations.Hope this helps you a bit.MiltonThe Dash 7 Project

Guest cbuff

Thanks for the help!I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.Sarnac

Guest cbuff

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.The end result worked out pretty well. The initial slide is just a little more jerky than I would like but from then on it looks great and moves well. This forum really is the best!Sarnac