Sign in to follow this  

New Instrument Lighting...

Very impressive indeed! I love the way the gauges genuinely seem lit up in the night shots - and not just because I happened to come to the forum here to ask about how to go about doing it either! (hint, hint)Have funFinn

>Very impressive indeed! I love the way the gauges genuinely >seem lit up in the night shots - and not just because I >happened to come to the forum here to ask about how to go >about doing it either! (hint, hint) Actually, I've improved the lighting somewhat since my first post (and updated the website) by 'softening' the light effect, and adding some directionality to them.The main instruments now have an 'omni-directional' backlighting, the engine cluster has five-point floodlighting (the gauges at the top of the center console), and the two gauges on the far right of P2 - the EDM 700 and Shadin Microflo Fuel Management Computer feature 'post-type' lighting.This type of lighting effect takes advantage of the XML command:Bright=Yesbut carries it a step beyond the MS default, by using the flexibility of XML to have all the gauges respond to a global variable, and thus switch the background bitmaps in response to an Instrument Switch on the panel.So, by repeating an element in an XML gauge, but adding another section to the gauge code like this:- - (A:Light Logo,bool)I am able to have the gauges 'illuminate' based on the boolean state of the switch, "Light Logo."It just occurred to me as I was typing this, that it would be easy to add a "dimmer" version of the lighted gauge by simply repeating the section, but omitting the Bright="Yes" from that part of the code! :)Yeah! Variable lighting!For the most part, the backlighted bitmaps are *just* the inside of the gauge itself, that way the bezel isn't effected.Also, since I'm using a separate bitmap for the "lighted" part of the gauge, I can also use Adobe to create *any* color I want. This a/c has "white" lights, but I could just as easily made them blue, red or green.Bill

Bill and FINN, I have been doing a similar setup for while also. Where the backround lettering only is placed over the non-lighted backround and using a "user" variable to control it.. In one case the lettering has the tag of Bright="Yes" when on, the other case ( off ) has no Bright tag.. (L:VarBRIGHT, bool) 80,128,128"/> 80,128,128"/> Fr. Bill,, Congrats on your new post at AVSIM :) :-waveThe Socata panel is looking fantastic !!!!!!Regards,RomanProject 737-400

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks for all the info on bright numerals - it's starting to make a bit of sense now! I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it works out.Great panel ideas as well, can't wait to see them in action in your new panel!Have funFinn