Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

XML Beginner

I am wanting to learn to create XML gauges. I have downloaded the SDK, and the file by Arne Bartels (xmlgauo1.zip), and I was wondering if there is anything else that I need. Are there any special programmes that I need to create gauges, or can I do it in a programme such as Notepad? Is there anything else that I need, and what is the best place to start (after reading the SDK and xmlgau01.zip)?CheersMalcolm

>I am wanting to learn to create XML gauges. I have >downloaded the SDK, and the file by Arne Bartels >(xmlgauo1.zip), and I was wondering if there is anything >else that I need. Are there any special programmes that I >need to create gauges, or can I do it in a programme such as >Notepad? Is there anything else that I need, and what is the >best place to start (after reading the SDK and >xmlgau01.zip)? Hi!I began XML gauge programming just a few short months ago myself... :) While you can use Notepad.exe to create the XML file, I personally use XML Notepad (available from MS for free), as it will prevent you from making basic mistakes in syntax, but refusing to save the file and highlighting the error for you... :)There are several other XML editors available as well (payware), and one in particular has already had some configuration files uploaded here at AVSIM to include all of the FS specific XML instructions.Good luck!

The best way to start learning the XML code is to use examples and the files you referred to.. Refer to the 747 and Baron .cabs in the gauges directory for examples, also download any panels with .XML style gauges and look at their use. Also search the forums here ( at least back until November of 2001 ) for key words XML... A boat load of information.. Regards,RomanProject 737-400

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Etienne, It's going pretty good,, over the past month or so we, Jan and I, took a little break from it.. You know,, excellent summer WX and just a touch of burnout. We both have gotten right back into it. An updated EADI is 95% done and reflects 98% of the actual operation as provided by Doug ( 737 Pilot partner).. The MCP is still being a bear in it's programming.. A N1 hold mode has been made. Some problem areas in the MCP are the VS, LNAV, bank limit, and speed mode.. I am hoping the MCP will perform again close to 90% correct to the actual operation.. A psudo FMC mode has been made to calculate and set the V1, Vr, V2, minimum flap retraction speeds, Ref 0, Ref 15, Ref 30 and Ref 40 landing speeds. All based on aircraft total weight ( Fuel and loading via aircraft.cfg settings ) and crossed to a formula to reflect the cockpit flips. Once set the ASI bugs will show these and the EADI will will show the correct bug based on mode ( T/O, flight, and landing at certain flap settings. ) Once I send it to Jan for testing maybe he will put some pics up on the site... Regards,RomanProject 737-400

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello ROman.My name is Fabio, I am new here, and trying to learn as much as possible :-).I have seen some excellent EADI shots in your website, and was wondering if you ran into any limitations programming in XML instead of in C. I intend to program some gauges with vector graphics, like the PSS Airbus gauges, and was wondering if you are using that technique with your EADI, or if it is mostly bitmaps...

>I have seen some excellent EADI shots in your website, and >was wondering if you ran into any limitations programming in >XML instead of in C. I intend to program some gauges with >vector graphics, like the PSS Airbus gauges, and was >wondering if you are using that technique with your EADI, or >if it is mostly bitmaps... You've just named the most serious shortcoming of XML; the inability to 'do' vector graphics... :)

I am hoping......... For FS2004 some things are added to XML type gauges... Fix some broken commands, ability to access AI / MP aircraft, the ability to access outside txt docs. ( databases ) and finally SVG ( I think that is the XML version of vector graphics ) if that would be done it would be cool.. :-kewlRegards,RomanProject 737-400

Guest Fabio Miguez

Gotcha, Roman.Also, thanks Bill for clarifying what I suspected.