Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

Attaching parts in gmax

Guest Fabio Miguez

Howdy all.I have been tinkering around with gmax, and finished shaping my first fuselage. I shaped the nose separetelly, from a half-sphere, and although I have moved them very close, I want to glue them, or weld them together. How do I go about doing this? I have read some tutorials, but none seems to explain this step.One more thing. Is this the best thing to do? All I want to do is make sure there is no space between the parts, so that in the si you are not able to see right through the seam between nose and fuselage :-). I see some screenshots of planes in gmax, and they all have different colored parts, which leads me to believe they are all separate parts in gmax, but don't you need to attach the vertices in some way? Is getting them close enough all I need to do?

Hi Fabio,I don't do much modeling in gmax, but if I think you might want to take a look at "vertex weld", you can find it in the gmax help.I guess you'd also want to remove the part of the sphere that is going to end up being inside your airplane, but I don't know how to do that in gmax. If you know how to do this, I'd like to know.Just getting parts close, but not actually attaching them (in the case of a fuselage) will result in shimmering edges in FS where the 2 parts are "joined".The few planes I've built, I start off with a sphere in the center of the plane, then drag 1/2 of the sphere to the nose, and the other 1/2 to the tail. Then I start moving points/vertices around to match the contours of the plane I'm modelling.hope this helps,David R.

Guest Milton

Fabio,I did mine the same way, no problem.1. Position the half-sphere precisely where you want it.2. Select the fuselage (You may get better results in Editable Poly mode here, but try it both ways.)3. Select ATTACH on the rollout4. Select the nose cone and it becomes part of the fuselage.5. Now go around the joint and select all the neighboring vertices from the fuselage and nose cone.6. Select WELD (Read more about weld in help) You may have to adjust vertices distance on the rollout to get some to weld. I did mine individually rather than all together. The end result should be one smooth join eliminating any evidence of the separate nose cone.Hope this helpsMilton