Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

When can we get this detail??

Guest Milton

I would say that it's available to a large degree now.Designers must be comfortable investing large amounts of time in their models feeling assured that the poly limit will not be exceeded and the typical computers will run FS with frame rates above 1.0 :-)I found that 58,000 Gmax polys does not hurt my frame rates on my 350mhz. What does hurt are the detailed textures. MakeMDL has a nice optimizing routine apparently and allows the model to run at my frame limit. Add the detailed textures, different story.I am not sure where the poly limit is for FS, but some have said around 66,000 (65K?). If that is true, the aircraft you see on that link will likely have a problem being exported to FS2002(without optimizing). 927,000 polys !!!!! Cardiac arrest time for my computer!Maybe FS2004 will open up more, but you better have a system to handle it. (and we likely will by then) :-)Gmax makes the detailed design so much easier and I find myself constrained in fear of overrunning the poly limit or limits of our computers. I'm sure experienced designers fight the urge as well based on older restrictions.Time will surely allow even more realism than we enjoy today. The question then will be who will spend 2-3000 hours developing freeware or payware for that detailed result unless significant $$$ can be had for it.Milton

I think we have some time before we reach that level of face count - although to be honest I'm sure that you could achieve a similar level of detail using far fewer faces. The model is designed for static rendering where face count is much less important, one designed with real-time use in mind could easily have a lot of detail with a budget of 50K polygons or whatever it is in FS2002. To date I'm not sure we've really seen any models that really push what's possible with the polycounts available in FS2002.Take a look at this page from 1998 by Konstantin Kukushkin though:http://www.kukushkin.com/fs/dynkit/manual/faq.htmlquote: "Most FSFS aircraft are very detailed. They consist of a large number (sometimes over 100) polygons.":-)Have funFinn

Finn, don't you find this particular section pretty amusing?:Q: The frame rates are too low when using new dynamic objects. How can I improve them?A: Most FSFS aircraft are very detailed. They consist of a large number (sometimes over 100) polygons. HEHEHE, oh boy I wish those times ;-) Would make our life's a lot easier...

>Just check this. I think it was made using 3dmax or gmax. >the site is : http://www.hot.ee/tech3d/gallery.htm >I wonder when we could get this quality in FS? >Regards, >Pedro Of course we could make planes like that but where in the world would you find a computer that would run such beasts? If that plane has over 900K faces, our Cardinal might give you a comparing point. Check out the picture...http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/mmniemi/shots/project.jpg

Guest jpcxcf

Ok. Now who brings the FPS down? The texture or poly ? Don't tell me it's both because I know that :) . Just between the two who is going to cause more FPS hit?If it's the poly count, then where are those textures that make a plane look real?If it's the poly why we don't have more detailed aircraft? Ok, ok they're coming slowly...Regards,Pedro

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Pedro.It is hard to set a dat, but if I were to bet money, I wold say by FS2006 we will be over 1,000,000 polys.If you think I am crazy, think about it: 4 years ago, in FS98, we had less than 100 polys. Nowadays we have over 100 times more, with planes of more than 10,000 polys. 4 years from now, in 2006, if we multiply our current 10,000 (somewhat conservative) by 100, we get a million.And I AM being conservative, given computer's capacities do not increase in a linear manner, but in something closer to a geometrical progression. So just sit tight, and in a few years we will be flying such realistic simulators you will need a certificate to be allowed to use them... ;-).

>So just sit tight, and in a few >years we will be flying such realistic simulators you will >need a certificate to be allowed to use them... ;-). LOLOLOL :-lol :-lol :-lol heheheheheee must be a lOOOng time I heard such funny thing... :-lol Thanks! :-hahWell but yes, regarding the 1000000 polys... Think maybe about rivets. At some point you don't need detailed texures anymore, just model every damn rivet. Then you might need 1000000 polys...RegardsEtienne :-wave

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hehehehe, didn't think of that!