Sign in to follow this  

creating a fuselage

Guest kurtj

I have been try to use the tutorials and a webpage to design a fuselage but I am having a hard time creating one.1. Here is the problem. When I cut the cylinder in half the side only shows and not the ends. (see screenshot). Then I use instance to model both sides at once.2. I am having trouble using xform to mold the fuselage.Can anyone direct me to some other sites that would be easier?Also the people who have made these great models like Posky, do they have a background in engineering or modeling or something? It seems like it is next to impossible to create anything in G-MAX.Also I live in San Clemente, CA so if anyone know of any classes using 3ds MAX I would like to know. Maybe a class would help me more. Any info would be helpful Here is the URL I am using to make rudamentary aircraft fuselage.http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/tutorials/gMax_04.htm#4

Guest kurtj

I tried doing an aircraft myself without the tutorials and here are my results. Note it is not finished, however. Maybe somebody can lead me into the right direction after seeing the shot.

>I tried doing an aircraft myself without the tutorials and >here are my results. Note it is not finished, however. >Maybe somebody can lead me into the right direction after >seeing the shot. It looks to me as though you're doing quite well! Are you using a background image in the viewports to provide a 'template'?I'm currently modeling a Socata TB20GT, and it's a real PITA because of all the complex, compound curves... :)

Guest PhLem

Looks good so far. You only need to eliminate the transparent parts.Keep it up.There is a lot of talent out there especially with GMax being free. Yippee to crowded skies.UdoProject Saab 2000 ( currently on hold ):-wave

Guest kurtj

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. One asked if I am using the background images to create this plane. No not this plane that I have created. I have tried it though and it seems a little difficult because 1. The image when I bring it in, looks kinda blocky or bitmapped. 2. I do use the Calibration box however how do I know for sure I am modeling to scale. 3. The most annoying part is sometimes the image will stretch out and look distorted in the viewport especially if I lock pan and zoom in or out in the viewport with the image. I have gotten some images from www.surland.com of airliners. I am trying to model a B757 in G-MAX. I hope sometime I will be as good as some of the great modelers out there like Posky and Project Airbus. Right now though I am just practicing and trying to make sense of it all. Also if anyone has any advice of where to find good images for backgrounds in G-Max, that would be very helpful. I am mostly interested in sites with commercial airliners. And also how to make the images clear so it is much easier to view in the viewports to design it.Thank You,

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bill.Looking great, I love the cowling, and I am assuming the pink block is just a reference fuselage, correct?Bill, what is up with the propeller? It seems like the polygons have gone a little crazy. I am learning gmax and would like to know what to expect when I am ready for my first port...

Guest PhLem

Kurt, you can also use photo's as background image. They are much more realistic then some of the 3-views available. They are especially usefull when modeling the nose. This is the most important part of any aircraft, since you recognize most by looking at the nose.To improve the bitmaps, go to customize menu, and in the viewports tab choose configure driver. Select at the bitmap part either 512 or 1024. This will cure the jagged edges.Udo.:-wave

>Hey Bill. >>Looking great, I love the cowling, and I am assuming the >pink block is just a reference fuselage, correct? >>Bill, what is up with the propeller? It seems like the >polygons have gone a little crazy. I am learning gmax and >would like to know what to expect when I am ready for my >first port... Thanks... Yes, the 'pink block' is a space holder created by converting the FSDS .mdl file and importing into GMAX. It was decided to re-do the entire a/c model, due to the rather poor, chunky, blocky appearance of the original model, but at least the converted FSDS model has provided a starting point.Thus far, work has been done on the engine cowling, the tail section, and wings. The cabin is being left for last, since it will involve designing both the exterior and the interior at the same time...Oh yes, the propeller! That particular one has suffered from the ravages of an attempt gone awry to 'simplify' the polygon count. The original, at just over 14,000 polygons is a bit of an overkill, but it sure does look nice!Here is a pic of the prototype on short final, with everything 'hanging out.'

Guest PhLem

14.000 for a prop ? That is really a lot. Mine has a lot less, don't know how much. I just made a box and shaped it roughly to what it should look like. Didn't spend much time on it. Any way, your plane is looking sharp thus far.Udo.:-wave

>>14.000 for a prop ? That is really a lot. Mine has a lot >less, don't know how much. I just made a box and shaped it >roughly to what it should look like. Didn't spend much time >on it. Any way, your plane is looking sharp thus far. Well, Udo... here is a snapshot of the prop in GMAX. As you can see, it is far and away too detailed for FS2k2, but it is splendid notheless... :):-wave ing back!

Guest PhLem

Yes, it looks very realistic indeed. Bet that FS won't like it. Have you actually tried exporting it ? I would really like to know what impact it has. Maybe it won't be that bad.Udo.:-wave

>>Yes, it looks very realistic indeed. Bet that FS won't like >it. Have you actually tried exporting it ? I would really >like to know what impact it has. Maybe it won't be that bad. You know, I'm beginning to feel real guilty about 'hijacking' this thread, but yes... I've exported it to FS and used it.However, by itself, it pumps the .mdl file up 108 KB, I hate wasting that much space for something that can only be seen with the engine off, or just barely cranking! :)

Guest bones

As GMax automatically smoothes out the polygons you could get as smooth a prop with far less points. I've just checked my DH82 prop and each blade is only 36 polys.

Guest Milton

Keep in mind that until you apply textures, FS will not do a good job of rendering. Applying textures makes a big difference in keeping edges true.BTW, I have 4 blades per prop, 4 engines, and still and slow versions and FS handles them very nicely. ;-)Milton

>Keep in mind that until you apply textures, FS will not do a >good job of rendering. Applying textures makes a big >difference in keeping edges true. >>BTW, I have 4 blades per prop, 4 engines, and still and slow >versions and FS handles them very nicely. ;-) Wow! Both yours and 'Bones' props look nice! I especially like the decal touch!Yes, the prop is going to be redone, and made much more simple...Bill