Sign in to follow this  

What happened to my model? :-( Pic

Hi I created my model in 3D Max 4.2, exported it and imported into G-max but look how it imported..anyone know what I am doing wrong? I imported this model once alreday into G-max with no problems...then I made some adjustments to the original in 3D max and exported again, now it's messed up.Help is appreciated as always.Take careMike

>but look how it imported..Well even if I saw anything, I couln't help ya... But anyways, the pic's missin'! :-)Etienne :-wave

OMG! I am so stupid... :-lol I forgot to attach the pic.. :-shyThere you go.Mike

I'm a bit lost. If you have 3ds Max (Gmax's bigger and more powerful brother) then why would you want to convert it to Gmax. I'd stick to 3dsmax and just export it from there then run it through makemdl thats how the MSFS team made theirs I belive.

OMG! You mean I can convert from 3D Max to FS? I thought you could only go from G-Max to FS so that's why I tried to import to G-max.Ok then could you tell me how to get from 3D max to FS please...I am a beginner so I am lost.I saw that the 'makemdl' program asks you to input a X format file. Now how do i save my 3D max model to an X format so i can run it through the 'makemdl' program? Take careMike

I haven't had much luck figuring out the whole 'X' thing, and I've never used 3D Max, but what happens if you just drop the plugin and the makemdl.exe directly into the plugins folder in 3D Max?Matt

You can't use the Gmax plug-ins. I'm a little rusty but I can check when I get home. I know you need the .x file exporter from the DX8 SDK. You export your model from max with that then you run makemdl (SDK version) and convert the .x files. I'll have to look what the setting are for makemdl but it works ok I have used it a few times now.As I said I'll look it all up and let you know anything I've missed.

Thank you Garrody. Please tell me in as much detail as possible because I don't know what SDKs are, where to get them etc.The makemdl that came with FS2002, is that the SDK version you are talking about, or do i need to downlaod another one?Where do i get DX8 SDK? Sorry to ask so many question..i'm trying to learn all this export stuff :-)Take careMike

>You can't use the Gmax plug-ins. >I'm a little rusty but I can check when I get home. >I know you need the .x file exporter from the DX8 SDK. You >export your model from max with that then you run makemdl >(SDK version) and convert the .x files. I'll have to look The needed plugin for 3DStudioMax v3.0 or v4.0 may be found here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/defaul...ompositedoc.xml

Thank you BillI got the plug-in and i manged to save to X format but now whan i run makemdl I get this error when I press Start:Running modelStart! (D:Programs3Dmaxmeshestractor.X)Loading X D:Programs3Dmaxmeshestractor.X...Zero normal encountered in part Zero normal encountered in part Zero normal encountered in part Error!Error!Any more advice? Take careMike

>Thank you Bill >I got the plug-in and i manged to save to X format but now >whan i run makemdl I get this error when I press Start: >Start! (D:Programs3Dmaxmeshestractor.X) >Loading X D:Programs3Dmaxmeshestractor.X... >Zero normal encountered in part >Zero normal encountered in part >Zero normal encountered in part >Error! >Error! Mike, I wish I knew... I'm just a beginning forager, who just happened to remember where to find the plugin you needed, when you needed it... What I know about 3DStudioMax and GMAX wouldn't come close to filling a thimble! :)I know how to fix co-joined vertices... But, at a guess, the error message seems to indicate that somehow you've lost your normals! I didn't even think that was possible? Any planar surface is going to have normals; the 'side' with the normals is the 'side' that is visible.

Guest bones

I can't see any reference to this in the help file so I'll have a guess. :-)If it is saying zero normal encountered in part then I assume you might have modified a part in a way MakeMDL doesn't like. We've all had the warning about making normals so tightly compacted that it throws up an error (and requires the points welding) but it isn't that message.It is a slow procedure but one way of isolating the offending part is to make a copy of the aircraft file and slowly delete parts from it one by one until Make MDL compiles OK.

Thanks for the help guys. Well, I stated looking around and I found places which have 3 faces on top of each other at the exact same coordinates..i don't know how they got there but I elimimnated them. Now of-course there are other errors :-roll ...when will it stop? I'm gonna try different things and if I can't get around the error I'll be back here begging for answere :-lolTake careMike

Guest bones

Keep plugging away Mike..99% frustration and 1% fun but the 1% is worth it...

true! After pulling my hair out it feels so good to see something that I made myself. Now before I continue I just need to wait until I grow my hair back :-lolTake careMike