Sign in to follow this  
Guest InBetween

Startup smoke effect

Hi all,the AircraftContainerSDK states that it should be possible to define a different (non-default) startup smoke effect in the aircraft.cfg.{EFFECTS}...startup=fx_some_other_effectBut I always only see the default effect. Am I doing something completely wrong or is this a bug?Thanks,Claudius

Guest cwright

Claudius, yep, I had exactly the same problem (sorry, no solution). I designed a dramatic smoke effect for my Connie, but now all the other small aircraft also emit large clouds of smoke, which is not realistic! If anyone has the answer please let us know! Best regards, Chris

Yep, the answer (from MS) is that they did not activate this feature Sorry :(

Guest InBetween

All is not lost:) The one fx file that the sim looks for can be renamed:fx_engstrt.fx (is renamed to) fx_engstrtORIG.fxThis will keep the standard effect from appearing on any AC..Create any alternate effect, any name, set up as a SMOKE effectin the AC cfg. file....Write a transparent XML gauge:If engine rpm greater than ten and speed less than ten, thenSMOKE_ON else OFFI have this working now for the default CFS2 Hellcat in FS2002:)The trade-off: custom startup effect, but no smoke trails..JR

and... if u need the smoke-effect, you can also put an start-up smoke as a light.e.g. the hidden xml-gauge will switch the panel light on, if the starter is used.in the aircraft.cfg under [lights] you just add a new line with the effect....thats it....

That's the way to go, obviously.But I think we can leave the default startup effect as it is, it's such a tiny white smoke puff, you can barely see it. :-)Claudius

Guest InBetween

Some testing is in order, RE the using of lights for effects thatmake use of "smoke" type sprites...For example, on the FSD Talon the Smoke function is used alreadyfor the wing vortices; if you make a gauge to read another key pressother than "I", then put in a TAXI light to activate an Airshowtype smoke file, you get some very strange graphic anomolies...It is like the sim is trying to make a light out of smoke, veryspectacular actually, if using red smoke!There is recent thread about it in this forum...RE using the Smoke section for startup smoke; the gauge onlyturns on the smoke once, so the startup effect has to have atime limit built in to it. You want to keep the smoke from comingon again at inappropriate times, thus the speed limit in the gauge.I will do some testing and report back :)JR

Guest InBetween

After some testing:Y'all are right, I am only half-wrong :)Try this test, temporarily changing the cfg for the Cessna 182:[LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit light.0=3, -3.03, -18.11, 3.58, fx_navredlight.1=3, -3.03, 18.11, 3.58, fx_navgrelight.2=3, -21.45, 0.00, 1.95, fx_navwhilight.3=2, -3.33, -18.31, 3.58, fx_smoke_r ///fx_strobe :)Thanks for the tip!JR

looks cool...hehewhy i actually found that out was that im triing to make a startop effect for old iron horses like the fantastic hjg dc-8's...i got a real nice effect, which emmits the sprites with 150 kts....looks real nice. BUTi havent got the slightest clue how i can steer the effect so it work for just on eng. e.g. i made the XML gauge. if the eng1 N1 rpm go over 10%, it switches the smoke on.but what i want is that it switches the smoke 0.1 on....sorry for the bad english and the lack of explainig, but im to angry that i cant find a solution :Dgreez-L-

RedOctoberXP,>i made the XML gauge. if the eng1 N1 rpm go over 10%, it >switches the smoke on. >but what i want is that it switches the smoke 0.1 on.... What do you mean - switching every engine separately?This is possible with different gauges for each engine, linked to different (free) light triggers like strobes, logo lights, wing lights etc.The only problem is the mentioned "plasma" effect, when coupling to the lights.Claudius

JR,some of the .fx files do work without showing the glowing "plasma" effect, even when used as lights. See the Wildcat flaptip (logo lights) and wingtip (strobes) fx.So - what is the difference in these .fx?Texture=fx_smoke.bmp -> no "plasma" effect ???Texture=fx_1.bmp -> "plasma" effect ???Claudius

1. jeah...i want each engine seperately .... WITHOUT using lights. ( i need the lights, cuz if the xml gauge switches the light off, and its night.......)2.claudius, i dont think its a problem of the textures. ive got a effect thats got 2 different parts (2 emmiters e.t.c.). BUT with the same .bmp. the first part goes smoke but the second goes plasma...greez-l-

1.: No chance without using lights. There is only one {smokesystem} section that can be activated. 2.: Someone emailed me, that the plasma is due to transparency in the color_start / color_stop tags. Maybe there is different use of transparency (alpha channel) in the bitmaps, too. I have to check this...I just found the first description of this problem in this thread:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID9/855.html(The sceenshots were deleted, but I remember seeing them.)I think we will find a nice solution. :)Claudius

Guest InBetween

Claudius, I like it that you are ever the optimist! :DWe need twelve different smoke "types", it would be easy! :DThe plasma effect may have to do with distance behind the AC and type of sprite: in the Cessna case above in this thread, the twoemitters in the effect fx_smoke_r are rendered differently. The thinlinear component is not "plasma-ed", while the fuzzy smoke catchesfire hundreds of feet behind the AC...I think the wingtip/flaptip vortices are the linear type?You are right, we will find a nice solution; maybe bourbon/water! :DJR

1. i now theres just one , but what i really want to find out is if i can steer the part beneath it. e.g. the smoke.01 part...smoke.0=-5.00, -15.00, 46.00, fx_oldjetidlesmoke.1=-5.00, -15.00, 26.00, fx_oldjetidle2. jeah....if you look at the screenshots again its shure got to do with the "color start" / "color end" thingy, cuz it changes to glow directly after the value in "Color Rate"3. id prefer RUM / COKE :D4. i hate the values 19/21, they makes me crazygreez-L-