Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

To VC or not to VC, That Is My Question ...

Guest Fly1

Well, I have finally got the guages in my virtual cockpit to work just fine in my new homebuilt. But, now I find that due to the update of the instruments, it has effected the overall smoothness of the sim. Currently I am using the guage set from the Extra 300. At the beginning, to have a panel in my VC, I just made a screen shot of the standard view, and applied it to my interior panel as a texture in Gmax. Looks fine. Not dynamic by visually good.Now with the working guages I tend to be stepping frequently due to guage updates.I haven't checked yet but are some guages less intensive than others regarding updating and overall effect on smoothness, or can you modify the panel/guage setup some how to lessen this impact in the VC?For now I have gone back to the bitmap to regain the smoothness which is more important to me.Bob C.

Guest bones

Hi Bob,Are you able to quantify the loss in smoothness - like a frame rate drop?I didn't notice any change between 2D panel and 3D when I built mine..BTW your design is coming on nicely by the look of it.

Guest Fly1

Sharp eye, no that is the bitmap I copied and changed a bit. I am testing some other guages and have found they have less impact on the smoothness, but there is still a small step. I'll post a shot later. The frame rate is still where it should be. I have it locked at 18, and it averages 17.8. But when changing attitude you notice a bit of step, primarily when turning.One thing I am suspicious of is the guage load plus the fact I have so much scenery showing due to the bubble canopy.Bob C.

Guest bones

Good point. With such a minimal panel area the exterior view bitmap is stretched almost full screen height and that WILL hit your frame rates.Still looks nice though! :-)