Sign in to follow this  

Strange XML gauge behavior

Hi,I'm working on gauges for virtual cockpit of Z-226 Trener model. I've created fuel level indicator gauge in XML and tried it in both 2D and VC panels and it worked fine. But when I try to place it in its correct position (i.e. on the wing), its behavior becomes very strange. Although works fine for whole range when placed on panel (2D/VC, doesn't matter), indicator disappears in some intervals when placed on wing (you can see it in the attached picture). Does anyone encountered anything similar to this problem or even found any solution?Thanks,Jiri BrozekCzech Virtual Aviation Design

>Although works >fine for whole range when placed on panel (2D/VC, doesn't >matter), indicator disappears in some intervals when placed >on wing (you can see it in the attached picture). Does >anyone encountered anything similar to this problem or even >found any solution? What a novel idea! I had never considered designing a gauge to be used outside the cockpit proper...However, to the point you raised, XML gauges must notextend even one pixel past a background's bitmap boundry in the negative direction of x and y, or they will pull this type of disappearing trick. Make sure the you do not have any -x or -y coordinates specified...Other than that possibility, I've got no other clue(s)!

Thanks!It was indeed this problem. Bitmap with indicator really extended past boundaries in few intervals. It didn't disappear while placed on panel because background was larger. Panels placed on wings were just 256x256 pixels - obviously not large enough for indicator bitmap to rotate without extending past panel's border at some moments.Thanks for your help, my model is almost complete now...Jirka

Guest bartels

Really an interesting placing of a fuel gauge. I've seen something like this only on a JU52 which has fuel gauges for the wingtanks on top of the side engine nacelles. Together with oil dipsticks to measure oil quantity on each engine nacelle, strange but true.Arne Bartels

Zlins of all x26 series (first prototype of Z-26 was flown in 1947) have fuel tanks in wings. Both tanks have mechanical fuel indicators. No fuel gauges inside the cockpit... Zlin 226M/MS versions (modified from Zlin 226B - new engine etc.) are also equipped with 40l internal tank (behind pilot's seat). This tank has no indicators at all. Those planes fly for almost 50 years now (they're used as tow planes nowadays) and it seems pilots have no problems with this kind of fuel indicators :)

>Thanks! >>It was indeed this problem. >Thanks for your help, my model is almost complete now... You are very welcome! That is a stunning model you're making!I learned about this problem the hard way; I tore out lots of hair figuring out the problem...Oddly enough though, XML gauges don't have a problem displaying when they extend past the background in the positive direction. I suppose it has to do with the way the sim calculates positions dynamically, and it cannot deal with negative numbers gracefully! :)

It's said that you learn from every mistake you make. I hope I'll remember to check the rotating bitmap next time I'll encounter disappearing gauges :)>That is a stunning model you're making!I started to work on this model (FSDS, FS2000) almost two years ago, but I didn't finish it. It was sitting unfinished in the dark corner of my hard drive for nearly a year. In the meantime I decided to create model of this aircraft for FS2002, but I didn't want to just delete the old one (it would be wasting the hours I spent making it), so I decided to finish it and release it. You can take it as a beta version of the completely new model designed for FS2002 (I hope I'll be able to purchase FSDS2 as soon as it's released - I have hard times learning to use gmax :)) And believe me, there MANY things that can be (and hopefully will be ;)) improved in the ver. 2 model...I plan to release ver. 1 model later this week, including repaint kit. There are many Czech flightsimmers waiting for this, because there are models of only few Czech planes...

>I plan to release ver. 1 model later this week, including >repaint kit. There are many Czech flightsimmers waiting for >this, because there are models of only few Czech planes... How many Czech planes are there to model? :)I'm having less of a problem learning gmax that I had been led to expect, but I suppose thats because I didn't approach gmax having become used to another program... In the last few weeks, I've learned no less than seven different ways to make a wing, all of which ultimately turn out looking virtually identical... :)

>How many Czech planes are there to model? :) You could be surprised, but it's quite big number. Those types listed below are only selection of the list of aircraft types still in service...- Moravan Otrokovice - Zlin Z-126/226/326/526/726 Trener, 42/142/242, 43/143, 37/137 Cmelak/TurboCmelak, 50, 400- Aero Vodochody - Aero L-29 Delfin,39/59/139 Albatros, 159 Alca, Ae-270- Let Kunovice - L-13/23/33 Blanik, L-410/420/610 Turbolet- Aerotechnik Kunovice - L-13SW Vivat- other factories - VSO-10 Gradient, M1 Sokol, L-40 MetaSokol, Discus CS, LF-107 Lunak, VT16/116 Orlik, LG-25/125/425 Sohaj...Well, do you want me to continue...? :)There are plenty ULL designs too.

>>How many Czech planes are there to model? :) >>You could be surprised, but it's quite big number. Those >types listed below are only selection of the list of >aircraft types still in service... Thanks for the listing! I was truly just being a bit silly, but truthfully I had no idea that there were so many a/c that were uniquely Czech designed and built... :)

Aircraft production has long tradition in our country and is one of our finest crafts (together with beer production :)). For example, Moravan factory has been producing aircraft for the last 68 years. Production began in 1934 and more than 5 000 aircraft have been delivered to more than 40 countries.I have to admit that only some of our aircraft types were exported to foreign countries. Most of them were designed during cold war and there couldn't be much export to "western countries" in this period. But I think that planes which found their way to western market became very popular, eg. Zlin Z-50, L-410 Turbolet, L-13/23 Blanik... Especially Blaniks are very popular training gliders all over the world.This situation is changing during last few years and there are new designs intended mainly for North American and West European markets. Zlin Z-242 or new Z-400 are good examples.PS: I think this conversation is quite off-topic now :)