Sign in to follow this  

Crooked lines

Guest jlwoodward

Does anyone know what is going wrong here? Model is FSDS and texture is by Paint Shop Pro. The texture looks straight until it is applied. Polygon smoothing is turned on.Thanks,John Woodward

Hi John,I've run into that many times when doing repaints but I'm afraid I don't know what causes it. I have yet to get into the modeling side of FS planes. Brian would probably know.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest Fly1

Have you looked at your mesh to make sure it is perfectly smooth. Possibly the texture is adapting to hills and valleys in your mesh, therefore the jagged line.Just a thought.Bob C.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey John.Shot in the dark here: I reember way back when FSDS came out, people ran into this problem, and I read about what the cause was. If I remember correctly, the polygons are smooth, meaning, if you look at the mesh without the texture applied, there are no bumps. but what is really going on is that the vertices on the sections where this is happening are not exactly aligned.It is a little hard to explain without a screenshot, but think about this. I call a seciton one of the circles that contains the vertexes that you can use to shape the fuselage. Considering each section has the same number of vertexes, each vertex is connected to the vertex on the next and previous section by a line. Ideally, this line should be parallel to the longitudinal axis of the plane. Meaning, if the line is parallel from section 1 to section 2, but then having it go a little up or down from 2 to 3 could cause a distortion on the texture.John, again, I could be way off. This is a memory from quite a while back, and even then, it still didn't make too much sense, but I do recall a statement of this sort when the same question was brought up. I just don't remember if in that case, it solved the problem.Let me know how it turns out.

Guest jlwoodward

Fabio,I think you are right. The lines are not parallel at all. Some were pretty jagged and I straightened them out the best I could. I may have to come up with a different paint scheme or live with it (from a distance).Thanks to everyone,John Woodward

Yep, smoothing means that it tries to take a rough surface and make it look smooth. It doesn't actually "fix" the surface. It's good for things like making regularly faceted surfaces look smooth, such as making a 24-sided cylinder look round. In reality, the surface is still made up of polygons, and if those polygons are not aligned smoothly, the texture won't apply smoothly.Matt

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Peter.I thought it didn't make sense because I didn't think the texture BMP would "snap" itself to the vertices. i thought the texture would just wrap around the object, not caring for where the vertices where, just for where the surface, as a whole, was.

It made sense to me because it's applying the texture onto the triangles. Maybe it also helped that I've painted many planes and ran into this anomaly several times. So, when you mentioned the vertices, it all made sense.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator

Guest jlwoodward

I moved many of the points around but not enough. My problem is that I haven't learned how to make a good window contour without affecting other areas. For now I will just eliminate the stripe, and next time make a better model.Thanks,John Woodward

Hey John,I think you identified the problem. It looks to me like the window post to fuselage connection is a little rough. Is there an opening door or canopy? If not I

My solution was to make a wrapped texture on the part. OF course, the easy part is that with VAS-Gold you can align the lines easily.

John,This has been a little "problem" with FSDS since the beginning. Especialy if you have cut out windows. the best way to work it is to move points aroind to try to smooth it out a little. It may not do the trick 100% but it will help. I've learned to live with it with my designs. I think Louis has improved (I hope) the texture mapping in FSDS 2 so this will be less of a problem. Also use the "check parts" tool. (make sure you then open the textures properties again after)this splits some of the "bad" polys into better defined trianglesBrian

John, Try using a wrapped texture instead of the left/right aspplication. I have much better results with that. Nice looking Ercoupe BTW. :) I've been using a rough Ercoupe model I started to test FSDS 2.0's metal finish with. Davewww.daviator.com

Guest jlwoodward

Danny- thanks for the sketch. I see now where I could have done things differently, and I may go back and take another shot at it. The shot below shows the current state which did not improve the lines.Dave- a metal finish is what it really needs. Can that be done or does it take a lot more skill and knowledge?This Ercoupe was downloaded to Avsim not too long ago. Brian made a few tweaks to it and since then I started to revise it more extensively.Thanks,John Woodward