Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

Can someone make an ai version?

I downloaded a Big Sky Airlines Fairchild III that I'd like to use for ai traffic. Is there some way to lock the landing gear in the down position using the fs2k2 aircraft editor? If not, is there someone who would be willing to modify the model for me? This would be for my own use...I won't upload the modification. I tried emailing the author of the plane but got no response.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]

No, the problem is not with the aerodynamics files but is in the visual model file (*.mdl). Indications are that only GMAX designed aircraft show the landing gear.

Barry Blaisdale has made a number of his aircraft--all non-gmax-- available in ai versions by locking the landing gear in the down position. So it can be done, but of course the landing gear will not retract once the plane is in the air. If you don't mind that, it's a good compromise and allows the use of non-gmax aircraft for ai traffic. I'm still looking for someone who would be willing to do this modification for me.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]

Sidney,Again, that modification is done in the .mdl file. Only the designer of the plane has the ability to make changes to the .mdl file, so you'll have to get in touch with the specific designer.Matt

Hi Matt,The first thing I tried was to email the author...no response. Why couldn't someone who has the appropriate aircraft designing program do the modification? Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]

>Hi Matt, >>The first thing I tried was to email the author...no >response. Why couldn't someone who has the appropriate >aircraft designing program do the modification? Sidney, the short answer is that the .mdl is a compiled file; without the source file, no changes can be made... :(A modeler would have to rebuild the a/c from scratch in order to accomplish the requested change. Since that is the case, it would be silly not to simply use GMAX to do the design, thus obviating the need for a gear modification! :)

Hi Bill, >without the source file, no changes can be >made... :( Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.Fred Choate, if you're out there it's your Big Sky Fairchild III that I need modified. Help! :)Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]