Sign in to follow this  

New to virtual cockpit

I wanted to learn about making a virutal cockpit (not just the panel but the interior of the aircraft). I cloned by aircraft, created the two groups for exterior and interior. The model displays in FS in both Spot and VC views.But when I move the eyepoint to where the pilot would sit, in VC, I do not see any part of the aircraft. IOW I see the ground where I should see the bottom and sides of my aircraft. As I move around I can see some parts of the AC like a cutaway view and I can see the tail when I look behind me. I can see the transparent glass outside and partly from when I pass through it inside, but not when the eyepoint is completely inside.Can anyone help?Steve

Guest PhLem

There are two things to this. First, have you set your eyepoint in the interior group in Gmax ? Second, your viewpoint settings in the aircraft cfg may be incorrect. Make sure they correspond with the viewpoint set in Max.Regards,Udo.:-wave

>But when I move the eyepoint to where the pilot would sit, >in VC, I do not see any part of the aircraft. IOW I see the >ground where I should see the bottom and sides of my >aircraft.You probably need to reverse the normals for the fuselage, otherwise it will be transparent when looking from the inside! :)Here is a shot of my Socata TB20GT's interior...

Bill to the rescue again! I thought about adjusting the normals but I have been in so many confused situations in GMAX having to start over I did not want to touch them. I am using a "thin wall" construction like the MS examples, where the sides are a geometric plane. They do not have an inside like a tube, but are like a cylinder, so I suspected that the "inside" is not visible but the "outside" is. I tried applying a 2-sided texture but got nowhere.Now, how to reverse the normals all at once? I will read the GMAX help, but will likely be back here again with questions.I am building an ultralight based on a drawing of the Beta Bird. Today I looked up engine specs and drawings for the Rotax 447.Steve Knoblock(actually there was an ultralight called the ufo)

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Steve.Here is what you do. The cylinder must be an Editable Poly or Editable Mesh.1 - Go to Modify Tab2 - Select Element sub-object3 - Click the cylinder, and make sure all its faces are selected (if you divided your cylinder, you might have to CTRL+Click to "add" the parts not yet selected to the selection)4 - Scroll down to the Surface Properties section of the Modify Tab.5 - Click on Flip NormalsAll faces should be invisible from the outside, and visible from the inside of the cylinder.Let me know if you need more help.

>Bill to the rescue again! I thought about adjusting the >normals but I have been in so many confused situations in >GMAX having to start over I did not want to touch them. I am >using a "thin wall" construction like the MS examples, where >the sides are a geometric plane. They do not have an inside >like a tube, but are like a cylinder, so I suspected that >the "inside" is not visible but the "outside" is. I tried >applying a 2-sided texture but got nowhere. >>Now, how to reverse the normals all at once? I will read the >GMAX help, but will likely be back here again with >questions. Fabio answered the question, but...Be sure to *clone* your fuselage and name it something like "fuselage_interior" and then flip the normals on the clone! :)Otherwise, you'll have a transparent plane from the outside view! :(What I did was to clone the fuselage of the TB20GT, whack off the tail, weld in a new bulkhead, and weld on a firewall, *then* reversed the normals...If you flip the normals first, it makes it much more difficult to do the "welding..."