Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

Tailskids

Guest bones

Is it possible to increase the drag on a tailskid to obtain more realistic stopping distances? I'm assuming that FS thinks it's a tailWHEEL aircraft as there is very little deceleration.

Guest InBetween

In the (contact_points) section of the AC cfg, wheels are type "1".The SDK from MS says skids should be type "3", maybe this change woulddo it?JR

Guest bones

Thanks JR,Yes, I did change the value to 3 but it still does not add enough drag. I'm sure you could set the drag co-efficient in FS98 but I can't find it in Fs2002.

If you are talking about aerodynamic drag due to Landing gear, pre fs2002 *.air file entries were in section 1101. Fs2002 has added a new section 1540, which Ron Freimuth indicates may be Drag. However, this is aerodynamic drag, not braking strength, i.e., drag of a tailskid on a surface.It is interesting to note that the default aircraft do not have the new sections in their *.air files. The new sections only appear if you use FS2002Pro Aircraft Editor.

Guest bones

Yes, I'd noticed that too.Thanks for the thought on the tailskid. I've got plenty of aerodynamic drag already (although I might add a touch more because the Terminal Velocity Dive Speed is about 10% too much). On this aircraft the skid was nothing more than a 1 inch wide metal plate which used to really dig into the surface and slow it down. I didn't do much for the landscape either!