Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Learning More Day by Day ....

Guest Fly1

Well, since my last post I have learned the dire consequences of using too many polygons. When working on the VC, I experienced a considerable hit on smoothness when guages were added to the panel. After trying several different sets of guages, the fix, or partial fix, was to delete all portions of my "Interior" model that were not seen from the cockpit. This included the lower portion of the fuselage, wings, landing gear, etc. It was the number of poly's I had used in the basic model and copied to the "Interior" model that was killing my performance. After making the deletions I am getting acceptable performance now.As mentioned in the beginning, this is my first aircraft and has been a test bed for learning the intricacies of design. It really makes me appreciate more all the hard work and outstanding aircraft that have been developed for FS.Below are a couple of shot's of my 2D and VC panels. Still work in progess.Happy Aviating!!!!Bob C.

>Well, since my last post I have learned the dire >consequences of using too many polygons. I've hit that "wall" only once, when the number of polys for both were so high that GMax wouldn't even write the .x files! GMax kept crashing (politely asking if I wanted to attempt a 'recovery file.'Since reworking a lot of the model, "my" Bob and I have managed to reduce the poly count from >80k to just >35k... :)>Below are a couple of shot's of my 2D and VC panels. Still >work in progess. >Happy Aviating!!!! >Bob C. Bob, your model is really looking nice! You were smart in choosing an 'easier' cockpit to begin your learning, unlike me who probably choose one of the most difficult! :) I mean, SEVEN $xxx.bmp VC panels? :)Happy Modeling!!!

Guest Fly1

Appreciate the kind words.Regarding the "Wall", my project has gotten to the point I need to separate the "Interior" and "Exterior" models into separate files, if I want to do prolonged work on either then merge to export. If not, Gmax will lock up right in the middle of a task. VERY FRUSTRATING!!Oh but I love those smooooooth curves. Just got to think ahead and plan better.Good Luck on Yours!!!!!Bob C.