Sign in to follow this  

XML Tutorial

Is there a good tutorial for creating XML-gauges? In MS SDK there is not much about XML-gauges. Or should I start to use C as gauge language. There is many good tutorials about C-gauges.Does anyone use XML-editor for editing XML-gauges? I have tried XMLWriter but it doesn't understand MS schemas which came with MS SDK.

Guest Eugen

Hi,Look for Arne Bartel's xml guide in the avsim file libraryBrgdsEugen

>Hi, >>Look for Arne Bartel's xml guide in the avsim file library Not found. I couldn't find it from AVSIM. Is there another placeto get it? Or any other XML-guide?

First, you should download XMLNotepad from the Microsoft webiste. I have the URL somewhere, but not handy. If you do a google search for XMLNotepad and download it will come up. XMLNotepad is a simple XML editor that checks for correct XML syntax. It is very helpful. I always open my XML gauge file in it before loading the gauge in FS. This prevents crashes because FS will do a hard crash often when a XML gauge is incorrect. It is also helpful for finding your way in large complex XML structures because it offers a tree-display of elements.I prefer to write my XML in Notepad because I have years of writing HTML by hand behind me and am faster at just writing it like a language instead of fussing with the little input boxes of XMLNotepad.The collection of XML gauge facts by Arne Bartels is crucial to success. He has pulled parameters from the gauge .dll files that are not mentioned in the Panels SDK, which is very scant on details. Some are very useful and I could not have created more complex displays without them. He also includes pages from the Visual C documentation that give the full details (although not all apply to XML Gauges) of formatting for text strings. And some instruction on how to write RPN expressions (I am used to those from programming HP calculators and Forth programming at one time).I have a tutorial for beginners. I do not consider it complete in all aspects because I did not understand several things when I wrote it up. There are still issues to resolve, which I hope to do on sometime. But here it isXML Gauge for BeginnersSteve

Guest eko

If you use Textpad (a fantastic shareware text editor), I have some XML Clippad libraries which I uploaded to the library a while ago.These clippad libraries basically let you select most MS Gauge XML elements from a list in a window. Very handy. You can see what you want to input, and don't have to type it... simply double click. :-)