Sign in to follow this  

Textual idents, how does it all work.

HiI have this kind of advanced EHSI (Sandel SN3308 'wannabe') that displays the tuned in navaid ident as a textual string. Must the 'ident' function on the radio be switched on before the EHSI can 'decode' this information, or is the signal always present and the radio only 'routes' the signal to the audio panel? Any differences on what type of navaid is tuned in (VOR, LLZ, ADF, DME etc)?Can anyone explain this?EHSI, radios, and audio panel are all in xml, so I have "access" to making this as correct as possible.

Guest bartels

I'm not an expert in real instruments, but I think the "IDENT" is mdulated as Morse code in the radio transmission itself (continously or repeatedly I don't know). So it is independent, if the aural identification is on at the audio panel or not, to have an ident information from the radios. As soon as the station is properly tuned and the signal can be received with a good level, the identification is possible.Arne Bartels

Guest JeanLuc_

The real world units are also not as accurate (fast) to decode the IDENT morse signal from the station than FS2002 is. The Apollo FL30 for example is able to decode the signal in 95% of the cases from 15 to 45 seconds after first receiving valid signal from the LOC/VOR. This is modeled properly in the reality xp SL30 for example.the audio panel IDENT features allows the pilot to actually "hear" the morse code as a "human validation" process.Hope this helps!

Ouch! Back on timer works again then, I guess :)But I guess the ident function on the radio has to be pulled in order for the audio panel switch to have any effect?Thanks.