Sign in to follow this  

Help needed with texturing cylinder objects in GMax

Hi!I'm at the texturing stage in my team's Socata Project, and I've been having a devil of a time texturing the fuselage.How does one texture only the outside of a cylindrical object (i.e., fuselage) without having the texture applied to the inside???I've read a very new tutorial on "Using multi-material ID's" but it is geared towards creating a multi-material texture for a building's outside...

Guest PhLem

When you apply the texture don't mark " 2-sided ", because this causes the inside to be textured also. Also selecting the appropriate faces to texture will avoid this.Udo.:-wave

>>When you apply the texture don't mark " 2-sided ", because >this causes the inside to be textured also. Also selecting >the appropriate faces to texture will avoid this. >>Udo. >:-wave Well, that doesn't seem to do the trick for me!Also, riddle me this: how do you select only the 'inside faces' of a cylinder? (obviously, for purposes of applying the 'inside texture(s)')

Guest odog

Hi Bill,Normals only face one direction, or have only one side. So a cylindar would not have any normals on the inside, but a tube does.so if im clear you want to select only the inside norms of a tube...then just turn it so its facing you and draw a circle around the inside faces, then just apply your texture.If Im offbase let me know and Ill try to be more help.odog

>Hi Bill, >>Normals only face one direction, or have only one side. So a >cylindar would not have any normals on the inside, but a >tube does. You are, of course absolutely correct! I did infact mean to type "tube," not "cylinder..." :)I'll give it a try and see how it goes... although a fuselage made from a 'tube' has closed ends, so I'm still uncertain how one would turn it to face the end... :)

Guest odog

ahh ok,did you know you can "hide" polys? you can select half the fuse, then right click and select HIDE MESH, theyll vanish, then to get em back just unhide all ( mesh )odog

>ahh ok, >>did you know you can "hide" polys? you can select half the >fuse, then right click and select HIDE MESH, theyll vanish, >then to get em back just unhide all ( mesh ) No, I did not know that. I new that I could hide vertices, but that still leaves the edges visible...Is it best to keep the object as mesh, or convert to Editable Poly?

Guest odog

>Is it best to keep the object as mesh, or convert to Editable Poly?Well I guess I dont really know what's best, Myself, I use mesh almost exclusively, however, a few tools are only available to poly.let me know how it goesodog

leave it as a standard mesh or use an "edit mesh" modifer from the modifer stack as editable polly's are based on "square" polly's nottriangular "faces" and flight sim likes the triangular face type meshes (the editable polly's may give you problems).2nd you can infact hide almost anything from one vertex to a complete scene by simply selecting it then picking hide selected. Also keep in mind that any ducted solid will have an "inside" surface.Hope this is also of some help to you. Dan

Hi Bill!After test flying your plane, I noticed that you have the interior and exterior "fuselage" as same part. I never do it that way. I always keep the interior and exterior parts separately... That way I can easily texture both parts separately without any unneeded hassle with the polygons...I would suggest that you select and split the inside polygons as separate object and then texture the interior individually...I always make the outside fuselage first. Cylinder is best for this I guess. Then when I have the fuselage ready (shape is right and windows/doors cut out), I make a copy of it and flip all the polygons on it. Then I just extrude the copied part's polygons to get the 3D thickness...

Thank you Mikko for the help.Here is how I built the fuselage for Bill's TB20GT. Not having any artistic talent, we must build things by the numbers and with primative shapes and techniques. We are not a Vertex puller. No talent.We built the fuselage using ProE. First we used the blend, loft in gmax, with 4 Xsections. ProE builds a solid fuselage. I then used the "shell" function and defined the wall thinkness of 4 inches. I cut the doors and window using cut on a 45 degree angle. Problem with this is the door cut is all on the same angle and not perpendicular to the fuselage wall and generates a knife edge on parts of the door. I SHOULD HAVE made the cut with a sweep which would have made the cut square to the surface. In my Xsection for the sweep cut I could put in the door jam seal if desired. We are just learning with Bill. When I change things Bill has to repaint ;-) BobA ProE type of gmaxer

>Hi Bill! >>After test flying your plane, I noticed that you have the >interior and exterior "fuselage" as same part. I never do it >that way. I always keep the interior and exterior parts >separately... That way I can easily texture both parts >separately without any unneeded hassle with the polygons...Thanks for the reply, Mikko! This is only a temporary expedient, as I am using MdlCommander to 'auto generate' the [interior] for me. As a result, all of the parts are completely duplicated in the compiled model, including those parts that will never be see from the VC! :)The production version will be compiled in the 'authorized' manner, with individual, cloned and renamed parts being created strictly for the [interior] view. As the physical model is still somewhat in a state of flux, it simply is more expedient to do it this way.I am not clear on one point though. Once the 'authorized' way of [exterior] and [interior] are used to create the .mdl, what determines what is seen by the viewer, when viewing the interior of the a/c from the outside? In other words, does FS2k2 always use the [interior] parts and textures regardless of viewpoint??? >I would suggest that you select and split the inside >polygons as separate object and then texture the interior >individually... That will be the next thing done, after the outside parts are finalized.>I always make the outside fuselage first. Cylinder is best >for this I guess. Then when I have the fuselage ready (shape >is right and windows/doors cut out), I make a copy of it and >flip all the polygons on it. Then I just extrude the copied >part's polygons to get the 3D thickness... GMax has thus far resisted my efforts at extrusion... ;(Thanks again!

>leave it as a standard mesh or use an "edit mesh" modifer >from the modifer stack as editable polly's are based on >"square" polly's not >triangular "faces" and flight sim likes the triangular face >type meshes (the editable polly's may give you problems).2nd >you can infact hide almost anything from one vertex to a >complete scene by simply selecting it then picking hide >selected. Also keep in mind that any ducted solid will have >an "inside" surface. >>Hope this is also of some help to you. Thank you, Dan. I will avoid the use of editable poly's then, like the plague they appear to be! :) I suspect that even converting an object to editable poly and then back to editable mesh will introduce problems, then...

You are most welcome!! And yes some times gmax will tesselate(subdivide) when coverting back to a standard mesh. Dan