Sign in to follow this  
dfish

Mark Martin's Citation

I was watching a show about Nascar and in one scene I saw Mark Martin pushing his Citation II (I think)out of his hanger, climb into the left seat and takeoff. I had no idea he was a pilot. It looks like he lives in one of those airport subdivisions, like Travolta. Does anybody know this for a fact and I wonder how many drivers fly themselves to work?Dave F.

Yes, he and many other NASCAR drivers are pilots. Last I knew, Martin lives in the Spruce Creek Fly-in community near Daytona Beach.

BobK

Martin owns and flies N6M. Mark's father was a pilot and Mark learned to fly before he started to race. He was lucky having Jack Roush as a car owner, who also has a love of flying and supported Mark progressing to be a qualified jet pilot.Rusty Wallace owns and pilots a small Lear - believe it is N500WR. He also has a Bell 427 helicopter N2RW - but I'm not sure if he has the certification to fly it as primary pilot.Rusty got his PPL while he was still racing dirt tracks in Missouri and Arkansas. When he describes his first flight in an airplane - a small Cessna between a small track in Missouri to Fayetteville Arkansas - it was love at first flight. You can feel the emotion in his voice as he describes the awakening of that flight.He almost gave up car racing as he chased his dream of flying. Thankfully Ken Schrader kept him in race cars - and competing with Rusty's two brothers as the four of them tracked around the region as pit crew for Rusty's father's late model.I think those are the only two drivers who are pilots certified to fly jets as PIC.I also understand that about a half-dozen other drivers have pilot licenses for smaller prop aircraft.

Not to criticize you Reggie, but I'm almost positive it was a Citation. It had that well-rouned nose and no rear canards. Maybe he just bought it.DaveEdit.....I just found this quote from his web site."Mark makes no apologies for any of his perks -- including the motor coach and a six-passenger Cessna Citation jet -- but folks tend to focus on the highlights and gloss over everything else".From this article,http://www.markmartin.org/dayinthelife1.htmlHere's info on "Spruce Creek".http://www.fly-in.com/

I've found it in GE. It's just south of Daytona, you'll see an aircraft icon. About 7 o'clock looking north. There is quite alot of homes in the area.Dave

FYIN-number : N6MAircraft Serial Number : 525A0302Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA Model : 525AEngine Manufacturer : WILLIAMS Model : FJ44-3A-24Aircraft Year : 2006Owner Name : MARTIN CJ-2 PLUS LLCOwner Address : 3709 W MARKET ST GREENSBORO, NC, 27403-4432Type of Owner : CorporationRegistration Date : 27-Dec-2006Airworthiness Certificate Type : StandardApproved Operations : Normal

BobK

Have no idea who Mark Martin or Rusty Wallace are, but Dexter Holland, lead singer from the Offspring holds an ATP license and owns a Citation. For you guys who think this guy is some punk who doesn't deserve a pilot's license let me be the first to tell you that not only is Dexter Holland highly educated with a PhD in Molecular Biology, but he's also one of the most charitable people giving hundreds of thousands to support different children's/animal's/elderly causes. Not to mention he has an incredible voice, even though I don't really listen to them, I just found this out yesterday.Here's a link to him landing his jet, check out the tail. Don't worry AVSIM no music in this video. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNpigoxLWgJeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

There is also a singer from some band that is an FO or Captain for Air Finland.Hows that for a lack of detail ;) I read an article about him a few years ago in airliners but the details are very fuzzy if you can't tell :)

It's interesting to go on flightaware.com and check out airports near each weeks NASCAR events. There is a huge NASCAR "air force" that flies in for each race. Lots of cool aircraft fly drivers, owners and team members to each event.KP

You just beat me to it Dexter, I was just about to mention Bruce Dickinson. He's also an avid train spotter, saw him on a British doc on trains and he was very knowledgable.Also, one of the members of The Barenaked Ladies flys a Cessna.Dave F.

Don't forget Jimmy Buffet has several airplanes. He regularly flies his Falcon 50 on tour pluss he has a Caravan on Amphibs as his "goin fishin" airplane and also has a Stearman he flies quite a bit. Do a search on youtube for Jimmy Buffet and you'll sea video he did that features his Stearman.Brian