Sign in to follow this  

Duplicating parts...

Is there a way in GMax to clone a part and reverse it, without running into the "mirroring problem?"I have a complex, curved left door that BobSam created for the Socata that I need to duplicate for the right side.Unfortunately, using the Clone and Mirror (the only way I've been able to discover to do this) creates a huge host of problems, beginning with reversed normals and all that implies!Yes, I can 'flip' all the normals to sorta get it to work, but when it comes time to apply the textures, more serious problems arise.You see, because of the 'mirroring,' what should be the "outside" polys are actually on the "inside." The end result of this is that whatever color is used on the "outside faces" is not blending properly with the exact same color applied to the adjoining fuselage.Here is a picture illustrating the problem. As you can easily see, the white 'paint' on the lower part of the door doesn't have the same reflective properties as the adjacent white on the fuselage. This problem does not exist on the left door, so I have to conclude that it is a problem caused by the 'mirroring' function... :(TIA for any suggestions!

Guest Firestriker

Yes, Clone the part and apply a Mirror Modifier from the modifier list, DO NOT use the Mirror button.

>Yes, Clone the part and apply a Mirror Modifier from the >modifier list, DO NOT use the Mirror button. Er... somehow that seems a bit WORSE!!! :(Note that in the one pic the right door is now transparent and that when "opened," the right door (and part of the roof!) now rotates inwards... Next idea???

I don't know if this will help, but my method is to mirror and object checking the COPY checkbox on the rollout, then adjust the distance until the two copies are seperated. Then I go into Vertex mode, select all vertices on the "new" object and Detach it.The reason I work this way is to perfectly align some object on the opposite side of the aircraft. I use Mirror, but I do not intended to leave it in a mirrored state, I want an independent left part from a mirrorer right part. For example, the wheel pants I've been working on. I get the right pant the way I want it, then mirror it to see if it will look okay on the left side, the do the detach process above.I hope this will not cause trouble down the line, but the new object looks "normal." I have not noticed any problems applying plain color materials that do not have a bitmap.I never found the Mirror button. Lucky me.Steve

Guest odog

Hi guys,One more thing to try, Ive gone to this method exclusively, and I never have any problems.Select the part to copy, if multiple parts, groupselect the move tool, hold down shift and move into place. This will get you a copy, then you can rotate 180* or if you find you need to mirror the part, add a mirror modifier to the mod stack.hope this helps,

In Picture Publisher that is how you get a copy of a graphic object instead of dragging. I should have known.Also, you reminded me of a puzzle when I first started GMAX. I could not understand why there was no way to accurately rotate something 180 degrees after copying. I though you had to use that gizmo which is never exact. So I used Mirror. I discovered that you can enter the amount to rotate in the box at the bottom of the screen. I had forgot about that. Will have to start using it. Unless I'm dreaming?Steve

>Hi guys, >>One more thing to try, Ive gone to this method exclusively, >and I never have any problems. >>Select the part to copy, if multiple parts, groupShift-Move is just a shortcut for the "Clone" function, with the same result... >select the move tool, hold down shift and move into place. >This will get you a copy, then you can rotate 180* or if you >find you need to mirror the part, add a mirror modifier to >the mod stack. Applying the Mirror Modifier yields the exact same thing I've experienced already; what was the 'outside faces' have now become the 'inside faces,' and all normals are reversed.Where the difficulty in texturing is arising, even after I apply the textures to the 'outside faces,' the texture is being diffused through the door's thickness and being 'projected' as though it was on the 'outside...' I put a copy of the door and glass here:http://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002_So..._and_glass.gmaxin case anyone wants to take a crack at it! Be prepared for endless hours of frustration! Don't say you weren't warned!!! :)

Guest odog

Hi Fr. I loaded up the door, and textured and copied and mirrored and it all looks fine, I had to collapse the mod stack to get it right. I'll wait for a reply, and Ill mail it back to you. Do i need to export to see the bleed?

>Hi Fr. >> I loaded up the door, and textured and copied and mirrored >and it all looks fine, I had to collapse the mod stack to >get it right. I'll wait for a reply, and Ill mail it back to >you. Do i need to export to see the bleed? Yes... although it looks perfect in GMax, when exported the inside texture will show up on the outside (through the door's thickness) and vice-versa. If all the normals are flipped, then the problem is simply reversed!Although the door will then appear 3d normal, what were the outside polys have now become the inside polys, and any texture will appear to be 'projected through' the door!No matter which approach I take, the "Mirror" is just that: a bloody damn mirror! Even detaching the vertices from the original won't break the darn link between them, so that flipping normals on the right will also flip normals on the left...Endless frustration! :(I shouldn't have given up needlepoint and knitting for hobbies!

Guest odog

Fr.I updated the pic after export, its fine....really!I'll mail it back to you.

>I updated the pic after export, its fine....really! >>I'll mail it back to you. I just got it. I'll check it out to see. I notice though, that you were using the same texture for both inside and outside.Where the problem has come for me is that the inside is textured with 'fuzzy material' and the outside is light grey with the lower portion pure white.What we're trying to achieve is a 'bonded glass' appearance, where the grey smoked glass overlays the frame, and appears to be a continuous piece of glass wrapping around the entire cockpit.

Guest odog

Ok,I thought this was about mirror and polys, I would assume that creating a bonded look will be created with the texture. I was able to texture the inside, but Im confused about the outside glass.

>Fr. >>I updated the pic after export, its fine....really! >After merging to the master file, applying textures, etc. I'm happy to report that the right door is now functioning as intended!Now, how was it done? :)