Sign in to follow this  

Getting Closer? (comparison pics of Socata)

Guest odog

Yeah!nice shots! Your moving along quickly.

Looking good. But after all that trouble getting the non-slip to show up on the wings, it doesn't look like there is any on the original! :)My only quick thoughts at this point: you probably want to tweak the compression a bit on the main gears, as they look not compressed enough now, and maybe see if you can soften up those facet lines around the nose just a hair. Course, I know you're not declaring this done, so I'm sure you're planning to tweak those and more...but it's getting closer, for sure.I have to go back to my Saab now and play with all that good stuff we learned about mirroring to see if I can get my starboard wing and hstab to appear correctly.Matt

>Looking good. But after all that trouble getting the >non-slip to show up on the wings, it doesn't look like there >is any on the original! :) Actually, there is no-slip but it's not as far forward as I've applied mine. Adjustment is easy, now that it's no longer a "no-show...">My only quick thoughts at this point: you probably want to >tweak the compression a bit on the main gears, as they look >not compressed enough now, and maybe see if you can soften >up those facet lines around the nose just a hair.I thought the same thing initially, but then I remembered two things: (a) the actual plane is resting on the grass, so that will affect the perspective quite a bit, and (:( the struts are rigid and fixed length. The gear uses "trailing link" suspension. When the model is laid over the real deal on a hard surface, the gear is the exact length... :)I'd love to soften the facets a bit! Where the heck is the "sanding block tool???" :)Speaking of tools, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only person who's looked for the 'rotation tool' in their paint program after spending six or so hours in GMax! :)>I have to go back to my Saab now and play with all that good >stuff we learned about mirroring to see if I can get my >starboard wing and hstab to appear correctly. It does seem to be a 'never ending process,' doesn't it? Thanks for the comments, Matt!

>I'd love to soften the facets a bit! Where the heck is the "sanding block tool???" Maybe a small bevel on the outer corners/fillet on the inner corners, and then play with smoothing groups. Or a powerful computer with a GeForce Ti4600 graphics card and some really good anti-aliasing :)>Speaking of tools, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only person who's looked for the 'rotation tool' in their paint program after spending six or so hours in GMax!You mean like Ctrl-&l;middle button click/drag&r; in Photoshop? Nah, I've never done that (-:Matt

>>I'd love to soften the facets a bit! Where the heck is the "sanding block tool???" >>Maybe a small bevel on the outer corners/fillet on the inner >corners, and then play with smoothing groups. Or a powerful >computer with a GeForce Ti4600 graphics card and some really >good anti-aliasing :) I'll have to try some of these 'toys' (er, tools!) out. The worst that could happen is that I have to revert to the previously save file! :)>>Speaking of tools, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only person who's looked for the 'rotation tool' in their paint program after spending six or so hours in GMax!>>You mean like Ctrl-&l;middle button click/drag&r; in >Photoshop? Nah, I've never done that (-: Actually, I was thinking for of the Arc-Rotate tool used in GMax to examine different aspects of the scene! :) You know, "Gee, I wonder what that picture looks like from this angle?"

Nice!!!!Please tell me the wings will be visible from the cockpit :)I don't know how you folks do it. Many years ago, I had the chance to see Michaelangelo's David in Florence. I admired how someone could take something so basic...stone, and sculpt it to such perfection. IMHO, you folks show the same artistic wonder in GMAX. Although I can't offer much in this forum, it's one of my favorite haunts, because I can track works in progress. Great work!-John

>Nice!!!! >>Please tell me the wings will be visible from the cockpit :) Thanks, John! Thank BobSam for the nicely developing external model. I'm just handling the assembly of the parts, as well as designing the interior in GMax.You mean, like this one? I've got the gull-wing doors open and am checking control surface movements...The second pic is for fun... Anyone remember the "Paisely Era?" Actually, I don't know what the heck happened here! All of a sudden all the .bmp files started doing this in FS2k2 on after a restart! The only change I had made was to install FS FlightMax on the development computer system for evaluation, and surely that didn't cause this! Unfortunately, the pic with the entire plane textured in "Paisley Print" came out blank... :( It was a hoot!Maybe FS FlightMax was loaded with Acid... :)