Sign in to follow this  

Simple GMAX modeling question.....................

Ok, Here's the problem, I have a completed wing on which I have to add the flaps for animation. I had detached the flaps for ease in renaming them, however, I have since readjusted my wing depth and therefore my flaps don't match the exact profile of the wing anymore.So I figure, no problem, I'll just add polygons to the wing in the flap locations and detach and rename them again. Well, with the wing selected, for some reason when I go to add a polygon, gmax won't allow me to select the vertices that I need to add the new polygons. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can create a new object such that the profile matches the exact shape of the void in the picture below?(yes, the wing is an editable polygon, and yes, I am in polygon mode when I try to create new polygons)I greatly appreciate your help.

Did you cut the flaps out using boolean? And if so, is there still a boolean operation in the modifier stack of your wing? If so, although gMax allows you to select vertices, it does not show the vertices as selected (a bug, maybe?). In any case, try removing the boolean from the modifier stack. That may even give you your whole wing back right there.Matt

Hey Matt,Yes, I did use Boolean to cut the flaps out. However, the modifier stack has been collapsed and the boolean modifier is not there. Unfortunatley.....still no luck!

Guest Milton

You are not specific in what is happening when you say that gmax won't allow you to select the vertices.However, having done this many times, I think I know what you are saying.On a wide cut like that, all the vertices do not show from your perspective and therefore are not clickable.If this is the case, there are a few things you can try.One, lower your perspective to behind and level with the wing so that you can just see the bottom and top surfaces and the area to be filled. Zoom out slowly until the vertices show. Hopefully you will be close enough to see the detail necessary to create the polys.If that doesn't work, create faces instead. Find 3 vertices that you can see and create faces to complete the fill-in. Example: select the top surface vertices only and create faces until it is done. Then, go to the bottom surface and do the same.Hope this helps.Milton

Hmm...can you pull a wing out of a previous version of the file?Matt

I found myself in the same situation. Several things.1. Sometimes if I use the hide button (in the modifier stack) and i hide faces then unhide them again...the vertices do not unhide. I have to go into Vertex sub-object mode and click unhide all and then the vertices show up.2. Sometimes I had the "Ignore backfacing" turned on and even if you can see the verices you cannot click them, so if that is on then turn it off (unclick).3. To create another flap from that empty space do this. Go to Edge sub-object mode, select the edges of the area on the wing where the flap should be. After you selected the all the edges scroll down in the toolbar (on the right side where ther modifier stack is) and further down you will see a button called "create shape from edges" click that and name it to whatever you want. Then you probably won't see the shape because it is taking the same space as the wing so you can move the eing a little and you should see the shape. Now you can take that shape, convert it to 'editable spline' and add a surface or make it into 'editable mesh' and add the faces yoruself to the shape. I hope you get it, if not i can explain further.Take careMike