Sign in to follow this  

fsdsv2 prop animation

Guest jlwoodward

Trying to animate a 3 blade prop. First attempt was to maintain the individual blades and group them as a family of parts. The blades ended up rotating independently of each other. After numerous trials and looking through the help files, my last try is:1. Combine 3 blades into one part and select prop_still from the list of names.2. Copy and paste twice, rename as prop_slow and prop_blurred.Now there are two whole props that rotate together, looking like many blades, and they don't disappear. They also take a long time to stop at shut down.Any advice would be appreciated. I probably don't understand the procedure, and the help files need time to catch up with the release.Thanks,John Woodward

This is a program independent issue, actually:you can name each blade prop0_1, prop0_2 prop0_3, but EACH blade has to have the same pivot/axis (x,y,z point)My personal preference is that the three blades should be one part, with one pivot point to worry about.If you're doing the prop0_still, prop0_slow, prop0_blurred parts, your _slow and _blurred props shouold really be textured (or not) disks.What is happening is that if you're using the same part for all, you're not getting the "effect".Alternatively, you should be able to use just one part - prop0 (no suffix) and FS should animate "accordingly" Hope this confuses (or helps) the issue further.

Guest bones

My prop_still comprises of the spinner, hub and individual prop blades. For the prop_blurred the blades are deleted and replaced by a disk. Blades just don't go round fast enough to achieve a proper disking effect.For the prop_slow I again use a disk but with chunks cut out :-) - it looks like two fan shapes opposite one another. For a three bladed prop it would be better to have three fan shapes - a bit like that sign we see at nuclear or highly explosive sites :-)

>Trying to animate a 3 blade prop. First attempt was to >maintain the individual blades and group them as a family of >parts. The blades ended up rotating independently of each >other. After numerous trials and looking through the help >files, my last try is: Being a "GMaxer," I can offer only a limited amount of help, but I've found this technique works well for me.I create a spinner, set the pivot point and name it prop_stillI clone the spinner twice, naming each prop_slow and prop_blurred.I create one blade, and use an Array tool to create the other two, spaced at 120 degrees around the axis.I group the three blades, and link them to prop_stillI create a 'fan' part, texture it, and link it to prop_slowI create a 'blurred' part, texture it, and link it to prop_blurred.Since I cloned the other spinners from the first one, as long as I don't move them, they will have exactly the same pivot point as the parent!Simple, yes?:)

Guest jlwoodward

Thanks everyone. I followed the advice of all 3 of you guys and it works. It took lots of trial and error, especially with the texture. I made a solid background and converted it in fsds to a transparent texture. I also copy and pasted each disc and flipped polygons to get a front and back view. The only thing left is that the discs don't show up in the virtual cockpit, even though I loaded them there.Another thing I noticed is that the discs spin up fast before the engine gets started. I wonder if there is a way to delay them.Many new things to learn.Thanks,John Woodward

"being a gmaxer" just means that you've had a "head start" in using the FS2K2 part names and key frame animations. Animations and texturing (effects) are the same in both programs - just the "key presses" (modelling tools) are different.I'm finding that the gmax animation tutorials are applicable to both gmax and FSDS2.The "limited advice" would only differ for an FSDS2 user in that instead of using an Array tool the FSDS2 user would use copy/paste/rotate around z-axis by 120 degrees twice.Not "knowing" the program hasn't stopped me from giving out advice on gmax - the basic principles are the same.to quote Dennis Simanaitis "All in good Fun" >Being a "GMaxer," I can offer only a limited amount of help, >but I've found this technique works well for me. >>I create a spinner, set the pivot point and name it >prop_still >>I clone the spinner twice, naming each prop_slow and >prop_blurred. >>I create one blade, and use an Array tool to create the >other two, spaced at 120 degrees around the axis. >>I group the three blades, and link them to prop_still >>I create a 'fan' part, texture it, and link it to prop_slow >>I create a 'blurred' part, texture it, and link it to >prop_blurred. >>Since I cloned the other spinners from the first one, as >long as I don't move them, they will have exactly the same >pivot point as the parent! >>Simple, yes? >>:)

>"being a gmaxer" just means that you've had a "head start" >in using the FS2K2 part names and key frame animations. >Animations and texturing (effects) are the same in both >programs - just the "key presses" (modelling tools) are >different. >>I'm finding that the gmax animation tutorials are applicable >to both gmax and FSDS2. >>The "limited advice" would only differ for an FSDS2 user in >that instead of using an Array tool the FSDS2 user would >use copy/paste/rotate around z-axis by 120 degrees twice. >>Not "knowing" the program hasn't stopped me from giving out >advice on gmax - the basic principles are the same. Thanks! It's good to know that my limited 'experience' is transferable... :)As I told one fellow on one of the newsgroups, both GMax and FSDS2 are *tools* and as such are not in the least bit responsible for the success or failure of someone's modeling efforts.Both are only as good as the vision and talent of the 'artist' who uses them...For that matter, I frequently find myself switching between Adobe Photoshop, ULead Photoimpact, Serif Draw Plus, and Serif Photoplus for creating artwork! What can't be done easily in one can be done in another.