Sign in to follow this  

Gmax tricks of the trade and ideas..

Since, we do not have a section at this form (yet) for Gmax only ,I decided to sort of start one. I have read many gmax tutorials, tips ,and stuff from the forms about gmax. All of the imformation has been good but, I think that after some of us have used the gmax program we have found that there are several different ways you can approach a project. Thats why I feel the need to let people(other designers) show and discuss how they tackled a task.(By sharing the secrets we have found out)I read the article "The Stupid Idiots' Guide to starting with gMax"By Hugh Shoults and I felt like man this is still hard to figue out.Well, I guessed I needed a article for the stupidest idiots guide to gmax.Take this example... Example in the main gmax tutorial it said to make a wing you should use a box as the main part.Well after doing this I found out I had too round the edges and thats where I stated to to scratch my head and get frustrated.So then I ,read another article and tired another approach (which I thought would be easier).Well, that 10 page article was like japaneese writing to me and I was more lost.Then I started to go back to the basic gmax tutorial and instead of using a box I used a cylinder but, then I tired it my way like this... Note:This is only explained in basic form.(you must know how to use gmax basic tools first)step 1. In the front view drawing make a cylinder diameter of the wing in that view.step 2. make the cylinder the lenght of the wing.(make sure you have enough polys to shape your wing project) Then rotate and move it too go over that front view picture wing picture. step 3. (in that same view )Now create editable poly of that cylinder and lift and scale the the polys of that cylinder from wing tip to wing tip.By doing this you get the correct bend an thickness of the wing from wing tip to wing tip.Step 4. Now go to the top view picture and do the scaling to get your shape right.By doing this you get the correct width of the wing.Thats how I made a basic wing shape .Well, doing this worked out great and I did not have to mess with rounding etc..Another tip:when cutting out windows I have found out if your the cut does not come out right(because of messed up polys) then press redo until you get back to your object that you are cutting with and move it in or out alittle and try the cut over and watch it come out right.Well, any way I an not an expert I just know there are some untold secrets about gmax and I hope some of you other gmax users will give out your tricks of the trade or ideas on how to approah a project. Thanks Sandon

Nice set of tips... I'm saving them and you'll see them in the Freeflight Design Shop Tips Section

>step 1. In the front view drawing make a cylinder diameter >of the wing in that view. I've been using this technique for several months already, but thanks for sharing it with others. It works quite nicely!I spent an enjoyable three hours tonight building a new set of wings for the Socata TB20GT. The 'high-poly' wings were bloating the .mdl unreasonably.I managed to replace the 2182 poly versions with a more modest 58 polys, without sacrificing one bit of the smoothness or detail.I also used the 'shape cutter' technique to cut the wheelwell, navigation lights, landing light housing, flap and aileron sections from the wing before cloning and mirroring for the right side.The major advantage of using a cylinder shape for the wings, is that area you use a cookie cutter on don't need to be refaced! That is a huge time saver... :)Happy Modeling!

Hi bill, I am not saying this is my own technique but, no one told me or I didn't read about it anywhere, I just was tired of trying all the other methods, so I tired to do it the way ,I thought would be the easiest to me.I do not just use this technique on the wing only. I also make the tail, flaps and stablizer using the same type of process. Thanks for your input! :-beerchug Sandon

The model is looking nice.Also, thanks for sharing your tips. It's that attitude of sharing what you do or find out that has propelled this hobby.You never know - your tip might just be the one that makes something "click" in someone's head, newcomer or experienced modeller.