Sign in to follow this  

XML Volt Warn Light Tutorial Fixed

Shouldn't there be an ampersand with the ell tee equal?

The problem seems to lie in whether you are viewing this "code" in either a TEXT editor like Window Notepad or a HTML Browser like Internet Explorer. In NOTEPAD it should appear like this & l t ; (note : take out the spaces) . If you type it into THIS forum without the spaces , IE turns it into a

>I have supposedly fixed the code and the (il)logic in the >explanation. See my handiwork here. >>http://www.city-gallery.com/vpilot/xmlgaug...ning_light.html >>Steve G'day Steve I can see how/why you have been and (I hope you don't get insulted) still are 'confused" with this simple gauge . It took me a long while to get my head around what was going wrong when I downloaded your gauge!! :)Here is what you NOW have in the tutorial .(A:Electrical main bus voltage,volts) 28 lt;This is what is INSIDE the actual gauge that you have to download(A:Electrical main bus voltage,volts) 28 &"amp"lt;=(NOTE - remove the "") - I put the "" in this line to confuse IE And this is what it should be - as viewed in NOTEPAD.(A:Electrical main bus voltage,volts) 28 "<" < < (NOTE - where "<" is & l t ; without the spaces. This is too difficult to "show" because of this way in which IE wants to convert XML - if you send me your email address , I will send the actual XML file which you can view in NOTEPAD . In your original gauge file for download , you had a & and an amp -- as amp=& in XML, basically you had one too many. And you also had an = which was making the gauge not turn off when the generators run up.Now you need to have a & in front of the lt; -- but it should also be that way insde the file for download.Actually your gauge is a very important contribution -- because I have a number of aircraft panels which use the EXTRA 300 low voltage light and none of them work . Replacing them with your "corrected" XML gauge now makes them all work.Barry

Ok, sorry, I confused it with a regular textfile (instead of html).Could a regular textfile show up correctly?link to address/page/tutorial.txt? Dunno. Those ampersands can be really comfusing to people not familiar with it all, believe me, I've been there :D

Sorry, I edited that by eye without testing on a busy morning. Haste makes waste!You're right of course. To create the example code for display in the tutorial I need to use "28 ampersand aa mm pe semicolon ell tee" so that it will appear correctly on the web page but for the gauge XML file this only needs the less than symbol encoded as "28 ampersand ell tee semicolon" (taken from my working gauge file).I think I fixed it before I uploaded, removed the extra ampersand, mistook the remaining ampersand for the extra and removed it again. I work with XML web services on my website (writing parser stuff for my bookstore) although not an expert. I type HTML entities all the time. So one might think I know what I'm doing. But poofreading is not one of my strong points.Also Winzip does not save folder info when I dragged the file onto the zip file. You have to open it first, then drag onto the window with save folder info checked.I just copied the alarm.xml to a folder in the gauges folder in FS and tested it on the Skyhawk. It works.I've added the HTML file to the download also.Let's see if I get it right this time. Maybe you can take bets on it...Steve