Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

No checkride for me tomorrow :(

Guest christianholmes

Well if any of you have been following my posts for the last... well... couple of years... tomorrow I was supposed to take my checkride at 9am. Unfortunately, weather in CT has not been cooperating. I'm going to have a word with mother nature.So I have rescheduled for next Monday at 2pm. At least I will have another week to practice and study up.I can definately say this- for those sim buffs that think they know it all (I was one!) you have NO IDEA how much knowledge and practice is required to pass one of these. I have memorized v-speeds, emergency procedures, maneuver procedures, airspace visibility and cloud clearance requirements, sectional symbols, FARs, METAR symbology, light gun signals, taxiway markings, aviation physiology, weather types and processes, etc... And I can execute an approach stall +/- 10 degree heading with out losing any altitude, I can do a soft field landing and takeoff so the front wheel never touches the ground... crosswind slips, emergency landings, radio communication, cockpit management, fuel management, cross-country planning, and ON, ON, and ON!This has been a lot of fun, but it's stressful and I can't wait to get it done. I used to have this attitude "oh, you're only a private pilot? Why no instrument rating?" now I can see why that in and of itself is a HUGE accomplishment that very few who begin it actually finish. I am wondering if I will continue on to my instrument rating- it's a lot of money and time, and the currency requirements are pretty stiff.I certainly have a new found respect for anybody who the FAA has issued a private pilot certificate to. I just hope I pass! I am hearing horror stories of people who failed ($300 a pop)... One I know failed because he did his emergency landing downwind. Another failed because in his diversion he almost flew into controlled airspace without knowing it. Another failed because he gave the instructor too much information during the oral! He apparently offered up more than what was asked, but said something about the ELT battery which was wrong, and the instructor led him on, and let him hang himself.Think of me on Monday! I'll certainly be posting the results, good or bad. It will end a chapter for me of these postings too- maybe I'll correct/edit them and see if AVSIM will want to post it as an article or something.Thanks everybody for your support-

Good luck Chris. I took a week off of work before writing my PP.Got 96% though. The practical was tough.JimCYWG

If the weather doesn't cooperate at least try getting the oral done! That is always a huge relief to get that one out of the way.

Guest CRJ700FO

>One I know failed because he did his emergency>landing downwind....it would seem to me that there was other things here, as I would find this troubling if it was the ONLY thing they did wrong. it is a EMERGENCY for goodness sakes, who cares it it is downwind, as long as the a/c is safely on the ground.good luck on monday. don't worry about other failures. just do what you have demonstrated to your CFI and you'll do fine. you are correct on the oral, simply answer the question asked. i knew airspaces and sectionals cold and i still froze on the class E to the surface airspace magenta dashed line on the sectional, d'oh!

Hi there, Best of luck on your checkride. I've been through three checkrides already (Pvt, multi, instrument) and I think that the private was probably the most challenging. The PPL also gave me the greatest sense of accomplishment too. I know that you have probably heard this already, but consider your PPL a license to learn. J.C.(MYNN)PPL ASEL,AMEL,Instrument Airplane

Just do everything you've done over 100 times solo and pretend the DE isn't there until he asks you for something specific...in short, just fly it like you do when your alone:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png