Sign in to follow this  

Rear Tire Animation

I seem to be having a problem getting the tailwheel on my planes in FSDS 2 to rotate. The main gear was easy, and I di dthe same process for the tail wheel but it will not turn.I taigged the gear leg as c_gear, the tire as c_tire,c_tire_still, c_tire blurred. Any suggestions? I wa even able to animate that whole legg to compress on landing! Puzzled I am!Thanks to anyone with a suggestion!!

Guest odog

Maybe you've done everything right in regards to the model. Is it possible you missed something in the air file?

MMMMMMMM, as of right now I am using an existing FS to base my model on, and secondly, if I try to open the air file, I get code????

Guest odog

you need a proggy to look at the air file i use AirEd, you can find it here in the Library. You can also use FSedit to adjust the .cfg file, it is found in the FS2k2 main folder.you can also open the cfg file and edit by hand.

OK, I have the air file open, what sort of thing might I be looking for that would keep that tire from spinning?

Guest odog

well,I cant go into a step by step, but I'd start with the contact points for the gear, maybe look to make sure its set up to match your plane...it gets a bit complicated. we may be barking up the wrong tree here, but assuming youve done everything right in FSDS its all I can think of.good luck

Not sure in FsDS but in Gmax if you have the Axis of the part wrong it will either spin wildly or not spin at all.This could be an issue.Al

Guest PhLem

The c_gear and c_tire tags have me a bit puzzled. For the wheel you need c_tire_still and c_tire_blurred. I am not sure why you have put the plain c_tire tag. Also the c_gear is probably not right. Try naming your part c_gear_leg or something like that. Model animation is within the mdl file, so don't bother with the air-file, since that is only for behaviour of your plane, and animation is visual, thus mdl linked.Hope it helps.Udo.:-wavehttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...8331d8c2625.jpg

Guest jlwoodward

Just an idea, but usually a tail wheel is much smaller than a main wheel. It may be rotating but it may not be very noticeable. Even with a texture applied it may still be hard to see. It sounds like you have done everything right.John Woodward

>>The c_gear and c_tire tags have me a bit puzzled. For the >wheel you need c_tire_still and c_tire_blurred. I am not >sure why you have put the plain c_tire tag. Also the c_gear >is probably not right. Try naming your part c_gear_leg or >something like that. Model animation is within the mdl file, >so don't bother with the air-file, since that is only for >behaviour of your plane, and animation is visual, thus mdl >linked. It's an inconsistency with FS2k2, nothing unusual there!c_tire_still is seen 0 to ~5 kts c_tire is seen ~5.001 kts to ~120 kts.C_tire_blurred is seen >~120 kts.c_wheel is used only for the keyframe animation of steeringc_gear is used as the top level tag for keyframe animation of extension/retraction; or, if no animation created, is simply the top level part name! :)

Well I have combed through the air files and cannot find anything there. I even used a plane that has exact characteristics as far as wheels go and still no rotation. I have coloured _tire_blurred_, tie_still etc.. different colours to be sure it was switching to them at the appropriate stage and it was , they just refuse to rotate. My other problem is, I have the main wheels rotating fine, but when I try to animate the 101 to 200 keyframes, the tires appear 90 degrees to the existing ones? ANyone know how to get the keyframe the bottom 2 parts of a 3 part gear where the "PARENT" part (top) will be stationary on ground impact (ie tire and oleo will compress into gear leg)?

I use GMAX but the tags should be the same. I would get rid of the c_tire. Never had to use it. Props have still, slow and blurred. Tires have still for the stopped or slow rotation and blurred for fast rotation. Also make sure your have all you underscores in place of spaces. In your question, you have c_tire blurred which is missing the underscore between tire and blurred. Make sure the pivots are the same as the main wheels.

You may already do this, but when I have a problem part or want to see the part in action while developing it, I create a a .mdl file and load it as the visual model for my a/c. I can the watch its behavoir in detail without any interference. For example I tested my throttle controls this way for correct animation in the virtual cockpit.