Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Window ice, what is the best/working approach?

HiI have only got into some rather weird problems when trying to use a bitmap picture to appear over the panel, to show an iced up windshield. I've tried several things:1) As a fixed window, as "front", but nothing ever showed up (duh).2) As a gauge on main panel, but gauges doesn't show up on the transparent parts of the panel.3) As a gauge on a popup view, but black background on the window shows up instead of transparency as defined by the bitmap.4) As a single bitmap on a popup view,defined by the file parameter. Now the transparent (0,0,0,inx0) showed the 3D-view through, but only 1/4 of the bitmap showed. I've tried different sizes, aspect ratios, position, and possibly everything possible, but nothing (good) apparently happens. When I entered the normal panel bitmap, it showed up perfectly. And they even have the same size!?What is going on here? I once tried a Seneca (98/2000?) with this gaugecontrolled window ice thing, and was determined to make something similar. Any ideas or suggestions?

>Hi >>I have only got into some rather weird problems when trying >to use a bitmap picture to appear over the panel, to show an >iced up windshield. I've tried several things: >>1) As a fixed window, as "front", but nothing ever showed up >(duh). Karl,It's early morning (for me), I'm still on my first mug of coffee, and I may be sleep deprived... but...have you tried a full size "panel bitmap" that features a 'hole' to represent the window? As we all know, pure black (0,0,0) will make the panel bitmap transparent, so deliberately defining a 'window area' isn't much of a stretch.I'm thinking that the same technique that is used to apply the 'flood lighted panel' view would come into play here...As I said though, I may simply be sleep deprived! :)

Don't know if this will help, but my DC4 has an overhead cockpit panel that you can choose to display. I assume it is a regular panel because it is listed on Views Instrument Panels menu and you can turn it off an on. It covers the windshield, but is empty except for the upper half that contain switches.I assume I could take this bitmap and draw snowflakes all over the "window" part.Steve

The ice thingy is (one of) something I most likely not include in the end, but I can't come up with any ideas why it shouldn't work?The "most successful" ("snowflakes" with transparent, 0,0,0,inx0, color that allowed the 3D view "shine through"), but only at the top and not showing up below 1/6 down the screen. The setup used was:[Window07] //Icetestfile=Ice_On_Windshield.bmp //Cessna421_Background.bmp //works?!?size_mm=1024,768 //Even tried 1024,400 for a smaller version?!?visible=0position=0ident=WeightTestThe only possible "special" thing that ever happened to the bitmap, was that I utilized bitmap format (pure black&white) in Photoshop as a preparation to get the desired effect. But I went back to RGB and finally indexed 256 color bitmap in the end.I HATE not understanding :DSteve: Was your panel.cfg in this respect any different from mine?Edit:Bill, hmmm, beginning to think it could be a memory issue. I'll include it in the next update, coming soon :) I'll let you have a try.

This is the DC-4 Western AL 1950 2K by Harry Follas based on DC-6b by Harry Follas and Tom Gibson. It uses an aliased panel in a seperated a/c directory, will take a look.I notice the overhead panel is the first window.[Window Titles]window00=DC6overhwindow01=DC6-PANELwindow02=radaroffwindow03=Minicontrols[Window00]file=DC6overh.bmpsize_mm=1280//change to size_mm=1300 if panel doesn't reach right edge of screen//change to size_mm=1280 if panel overlaps right edgeposition=2visible=1ident=0Hope this helps.Steve

Not into panel design at all but I saw a picture of Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8 with 'not very clean'windshields perhaps he can also help...:-kewlhttp://home.as-netz.de/oleksiy.frolov/Dash8/pnl1.jpgRob "Holland&Holland" de VriesFor accurate and custom made ambient and nature sounds(sets) for Lago's FSSoundscape go to:"What Is It Like to See with Your Ears"

RobdeVries.jpg

>I notice the overhead panel is the first window.Hmm, this is a no-go for me, unfortunately. It appears to me that I can add this detail to the main bitmap, but I have still not been able to pull it off using a separate bitmap, of any "normal" size or setup.Bill, do you have any clues, at all, why this isn't working? You should have the files to test with by now.Arghh, it's driving me mad! :D All the other ice stuff is in now.

>Bill, do you have any clues, at all, why this isn't working? >You should have the files to test with by now. >>Arghh, it's driving me mad! :D All the other ice stuff is in >now. Karl, I did get the files but having a 'full time job' that takes me away from my home office environment is seriously taking away my opportunities to 'play.' :)I'll try to make some time this weekend to look at what you sent.

Hi,Idea for Christmas?Made for fun, can much better, some ice on the windows.It is:...... window06=Christmas......[Window06]file=Christmas.bmp size_mm=1024window_size_ratio=1.00 position=0visible=0ident=600It is activated by: 600 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)This happens when you click on the "windowheat-switch" on the overhead panel.Possible too is:Let the "ice" come by a certain temperature.Something like: "toggle" when outside temperature < -10.Merry Christmas!!Janhttp://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4...75aouncN_th.jpg

Here is my window "definition", works if using panel bitmap instead.[Window07]file=Ice_On_Windshield.bmp //Panel_bitmap.bmp - also 1024,768 workssize_mm=1024 //1024,768 when trying for icevisible=0position=0ident=WeightTestShould be identical to yours.Here is the "ice" image (just testing, don't laugh :))And this is the screwed up result on the panel:

Sorry about the size, picked the wrong images. The sizes of the panel bitmap and ice bitmap are identical in width and height, both is 8bit bitmap, using black index0 as transparent, and both are 770kb in filesize. I also tried your aspect setting to no help.If accessing the panel bitmap, I get the image up rather instantly, and as expected cover up the gauges and show the 3D view through. When using the ice bitmap, it takes "ages" (about 6 seconds) until it pops up, but in this clearly cutoff way.The plan was to use actual ice buildup to toggle/set the state of the window automatically, but as long as even the window won't work, I'm pretty much stuck :) Ice in MSFS is never present btw, unless you _ask_ for it: Lowest layer must be overcast with icing, and you have to be in an overcast or cirrus - only then will you get icing. Exception is cirrus clouds, which is always defined as a volume, not the 2D sheets. Then it is only a matter of checking aircraftweight-fuelweight-emptyweight-stationloads=weight of actual ice. In case you want to take it further :) The 421B now has a fully operational boot deicing system, maybe for the first time in FS. If I could only get that damned window ice to work - visually - the rest would be no problem...

Hi,No problems with "gaugecovering" by the "ice".One thing: when starting FS, you have to toggle the icepanel first, otherwise other panels, as overhead, pedestal etc. will be covered!I use a 256 color bitmap as icepanel with o transparancy, see GIF.The "icestructure" depends only off the artists will (and time).It pops up within a second.I use only the windowheat-switch.Of course i'm very interested in your solution.Janhttp://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4...75aouncN_th.jpg