Sign in to follow this  
Guest PARADISE

3rd Fatal Crash at Nev. Air Races

Guest christianholmes

I don't know if it's sad. Sure, when somebody dies- it's sad- I'm not saying that. But people are shocked since it's the first time there has been THREE deaths in ONE year. The last fatality was a mere five years ago. Those guys know #### well that they are doing something EXTREMELY dangerous, so it's kind of like a "Told you so" kind of thing.They all act so suprised- I mean these guys are doing 300-500 MPH a few hundred feet over the ground and RACING EACH OTHER. No one has died in Formula one since Ayrton Senna, back in 1994, and people think those guys are nuts.There are just some professions that should get used to the fact that if they are concerned about their retirement 401ks, they should probably find something a little tamer. Airplane Racer, Bomb Disposal expert, Alaskan King Crab fisher...

Everything in life is risk management-as someone said life is dangerous from the moment of birth.Despite the risk of the Reno races-these pilot's are pro's and I am sure they do everything they can to minimize risk-just as any pilot does, and daily car commuters try to do-although with 50,000 or so deaths a year in car crashes I'd be more worried here. In my life I was nearly killed in a car crash-I've been flying knock on wood 18 years without a problem-yet I am sure some view me as doing something "extremely dangerous" and if for some reason I met my fate by flying would express the same sentiments-a car crash however would not elicit the same response. Sometimes your time just is up-and it is tragic when that happens to anyone.A good friend of mine-a non drinker/non smoker/healthy eater just got lung cancer at 50-just as tragic imho as the Reno racers that just met their fate. We all try our best but sometimes life has something else planned...however some live life's fickle time to the fullest (perhaps with the perception of risk takers to others). I am sad for these pilot's who faced what we all will have to face ultimately-but maybe with a little more gusto than most of us have.So I am sad...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi Geofa...I agree, all of life is a risk, and life can bring the most unpleasant surprises (along with just as many pleasant ones).In the end, tragedy will befall each of us at one time or another, and since most tragedy is personal in nature no one tragedy trumps another. Each event is tragic to those personally affected, and sometimes to bystanders not involved.So in the end, as I am sad for the Reno Racers, for my mother and father who have passed on, and for my co-worker who too has just discovered he has cancer. And now, after reading your post I am sad for your friend. Best,bt

Mr Holmes,I think you need to check your attitude here. I was at the races this year. I also got to know some of the F-1 pilots before and after the 3rd crash. No one in the racing community was "suprised". The only ones suprised were the press. All the pilots and crew were saddened and definatly affected by the loss of close friends. They know exactly how dangerous Air Racing is and accept that fully. I for one got a real look at how that community pulled together. Air racers are not like NASCAR or F-1 they help each other and share parts. The pits for each catagory are open and in the same place not closed and secret like F-1. The vets share advice and the rookies are quietly guided. Private jets were quietly arranged to transport families. Other racers delt with the NTSB ans FAA so the families wouldn't have to at that moment. The first concern of the racers was for the families of the fallen racers. Then less than 24hrs after losing friends, yes friends not just competitors the climbed back into their respective aircraft and went racing again.The worst thing I saw was the accions of the press at the event. Funny how news stations you never see in Stead suddenly showed up. Normally only the local stations cover the races. But by Fri. PM the vultures were there. Many of the crews were afraid to talk around people they didn't know since they noticed members of the press trying to listen in on, and RECORD private conversations. Instead of just walking up and saying "I'm from station KXYZ..." Crews found cameras and microphones pointed at them with or without approval. All the crews and racers wanted was for the NTSB and the FAA to do their work and release their statement. But as usual the press couldn't wait for that. Not suprising though most of those guys didn't even stick around till Sunday to report on the races. If they had they would have witnessed three Mayday's in the final Unlimited gold race. But there's no "story" in that since all three pilots landed their aircraft safely. Maybe before you make a snide comment about the men who do this you ought to get to know some of them. These men are doing for real what we sit at our computers and only dream of.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Guest PARADISE

Very well put Snowfalcon. I'm glad to read another person's perspective on this other than the typically biased press. One who has a much better understanding of what our pilot community is all about, and IMHO, gives a much better report of what it was like there. Unlike the press, that is continuosly over-sensationalizing and under-reporting the news.John