Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Just Having Toooo Much Fun ...

Guest Fly1

Well, the second homebuilt is gradually coming along. It's amazing how adictive this is. I find myself longing to get back to the computer so I can tweak this or try a new part. One thing that frustrates me is trying to make mass divisions to a part, such as ... say there is a box with a width of 2 segments. Not using the tessellate feature, which divides length and width, isn't there another way to add to the segment count of a part? I thought I found it once, but lost it.Thanks for any comments.Bob C.

I assume your using GMAX? The site for tutorials is Finn's, in Video format no less! http://www.supadetail.co.uk/Also tons of useful tutotials at www.freeflightdesign.com If you need a tester, let me know. My brother in law is the FBO at HBZ and built a Long-Ez in '85. (still has her) I got to fly her 2 summers ago. Absolute blast! Felt so much like my favaorite CFS FW-190 and my MS Sidewinder stick. Little wrist action as she zoomed all over. Can't wait until he visits! He He....

Guest Fly1

Sorry bout that, yes I am using Gmax. I have checked those sites and several others, but can't remember seeing anything on segment devision.Thanks though.Bob C.

Guest odog

hey,you can increase the 'illiterations' with a mesh smooth mod. in the stack. Each step doubles the poly count, so be careful.If you have trouble, let me know, and I'll try to help. Its pretty easy tho.joe

Guest Fly1

Appreciate the feedback, but this still subdivides in all directions, X - Y - Z, depending on the selected item. I need to be able to divide in one direction.Following are several pics describing what I'm looking for. Shot 1 through 3 describe the ability of setting the number of segments when creating a box. In this case, the width. Later, if I want to modify the box, I can not alter just the number of width segments, say to add one, or more. Pic 4 shows what happens when tessellating. It adds in all directions. As mentioned, I thought I had found a way before, but can't remember.Thanks again !!!!!!Bob C.

>Appreciate the feedback, but this still subdivides in all >directions, X - Y - Z, depending on the selected item. I >need to be able to divide in one direction. Use the "Slice Plane" tool on the rollout.Position the Slice Plane where you want to add vertices, and click the "Slice" button.Bill

Although Tessellate usually does create problems when applying to the whole object, if you just select two adjacent cross sections of the fuselage, then apply one click of tessellate it will add exactly one new cross section, very evenly, no weirdness or deformations.At least my experience.I would not think to use Slice to add vertices. I thought that was for cutting the object in half, but knowing GMAX it probably does something counter intuitive to its name.Steve

>I would not think to use Slice to add vertices. I thought >that was for cutting the object in half, but knowing GMAX it >probably does something counter intuitive to its name. I've used it to add a whole row of vertices across a cylinder section, but it does seem to be a bit counter-intuitive, for sure!It's also a bit unpredictable, because it doesn't seem to always want to 'slice' exactly on the visual plane... but then, I might be using it incorrectly also! :)

Guest Fly1

Well, I have tried the slice and it appears to work fairly well. Rather cumbersome though. It will do for the time being. Thanks Bill!Appreciate the feedback guys.Bob C.