Sign in to follow this  

Night lighting while sitting on the apron...

Hi Folks,has anyone ever experimented if it is possible to illuminate the fuselage e.g. with a landing light or VC light at night? Will it stay pitch black or have a spot of light?Or is the only way of having it lit a night texture?I tried the wonderful new Fokker and felt awful seeing it sitting dark with only illuminated windows+tail on a lighted apron (No offense to designers, great job!).Just came to wonder, because some aircraft (e.g. Dreamfleet's Cardinal) have a red reflection on the elevators (or at least it looks so, great feature). Is it indeed a reflection or a texture coupled to the strobe criteria?Or, is it possible to have a whole different texture set coupled to the criteria Navlights ON / Strobe(or Beacon) OFF so this "second" night lighted texture might be shown only when the a/c sits on the ground waiting for pax and/or freight?Just sharing some thoughts how to make it even more real...ToMey

Guest odog

Is this a gmax plane?I dont know about the textures, but I use Nav lights to splash onto my planes, it is possible, without using a texure.im not sure you change it, unless you have the source.

Funny you should ask,I was about to post what follows when I noticed this topic.I guess here is as good a place as any for it, and the synchronicity can't be denied.So see below under - ICE AND LOGO LIGHTING!TURBOPROP TAXI SPEEDS AND BETA RANGE(GROUND FINE) PROP SOUNDSI am currently working on a new flight model for the default Microsoft Dash 8-100 and while so engaged I discovered an interesting twist on the "fix' for the problem of high taxi speeds. While working on the ground handling, (turning radius & nosewheel steering sensitivity) I became annoyed with the aircrafts tendency to accelerate beyond 20 knots groundspeed. It required constant braking action to avoid breaking the sound barrier on the taxiway, so I decided something must be done about this before taking on the flight characteristics. I had already set the condition levers to ground (low) idle with very little result, and then I remembered reading somewhere that using the "cut throttle" F1 keyboard command would slow the aircraft without braking by reducing the thrust so I tried that and discovered that it worked fairly well. However, it was a little awkward for me coordinating between joystick throttle and the F1 key, so I calibrated my throttle axis min and max with Fsuipc to achieve a completely closed throttle and give the same results as the "cut throttle" keyboard command. This worked really well, and I excitedly showed my husband Douglas the results of my labors only to be told that this "fix" was well known and simulated the behavior of real turboprops (at least those with Pratt & Whitney/Canada Engines). He said that while taxiing the real thing (something he has done for many years when performing engine runs after maintenance checks) the propellors beta or ground fine range is used to control the taxi speed and reduce the need for braking whenever possible (heat packs for the brakes are expensive!), he further stated that as far as FS2002 and turboprops were concerned, the F1 command works by reducing the propellor thrust, not the engine speed. I verified this by watching the gas generator gauge as I closed the throttle (I should call it the power lever he tells me) and sure enough, no change in turbine speed as the aircraft slows to a halt. He further informed me that while the acceleration and deceleration effects of Flight Simulators minimum and beta propellor pitch ranges are a little exaggerated, when set up this way with Fsuipc (is there nothing it can't do?) taxiing is fairly realistic, you allow the aircraft to accelerate, then move the throttle (power) lever back to the beta range to keep the speed under 20 knots, then when the speed has dropped perhaps 4-6 knots you advance the lever once again, allowing the aircraft to accelerate before repeating the cycle. Well I am not aquainted with turboprops so this took some getting used to but I soon had the hang of it and could taxi fairly smoothly and without much speed fluctuation despite all the accelerating and decelerating and my husband was ready to sign off on my taxi certification (at his airline mechanics must be certified before they are allowed to perform engine ground runs or taxi aircraft) when he remarked that the only thing missing was the change in prop noise that is heard as the pitch moves into the beta or ground fine range. So I decided to have a look into that for his favorite FS2002 turboprop if he would modify my joystick throttle lever to include detents so I could avoid going into the ground range while in flight. I wanted 2 detents, one for beta, and one for reverse so I could "map to four throttles" in Fsuipc and set the power controls up like the actual aircraft. And so I began digging into the mysterious and intimidating world of the sound file (X-Files is more like it) in hope of adding this sound to the Dash 8-100's ground range. My pathetic attempts to reconfigure this cryptic document were a resounding failure and I decided to resort to a bit of lateral thinking to achieve my goal. Since I had already edited the aircraft CFG file under the propellor section, minimum_on_ground_beta entry by changing the value 1.0 to 0.1 in an attempt to reduce the taxi speed (useless- unless the props are in the ground range with F1 or Fsuipc), in a flash of inspiration (desperation) I decided to reduce this value further to bring the prop pitch into the reverse range by 1 degree (-1). This, I reasoned, would work because the reverse thrust sound effect was already modeled by the sound CFG file. So after making this change I started up FS2002 once more, only to be disappointed once again when moving the lever to the "closed" position. It was only after turning the speaker volume up (because after repeated attempts I thought I detected a slight change in sound ) that the faintest echo of reverse thrust was noticeable. I am using the KingAir sound folder until I am able to make or find something better, so I opened up the 4 Wav files kapr, kbpr, xkapr, and xkbpr (evidently the first two WAVS are for the interior sound, while the last pair are related to the exterior) with sound recorder and changed their properties to 8 bit mono (I have NO idea what that means I only did this to make each file editable) and then increased the volume by 175-200% saved my changes and migrated back to FS2002. I found the sound to be audible now when the propellors are in the beta range (actually they are a little into reverse for special effects purposes),and the reverse sound is REALLY audible though acceptable in full reverse, and after some tweaking I found that -0.5 degrees works pretty well as the minimum_on_ground_beta value. My better half had a listen and pronounced it "reasonably authentic" which is high praise from someone with his exacting standards. Perhaps someone with a better working knowledge of the sound files can improve on this, or has it been done already? In the meantime, give this a try and I hope it works well for you! By the way, I successfully applied this mod to his favorite turboprop (ATR-42) and I am STILL waiting for my joystick throttle mod. ICE AND LOGO LIGHTINGOn a different topic, same airplane Dash 8-100, I wanted to find a way to model the effect of logo and ice lights on the aicraft exterior and came up with the idea of using a combination of fx_navwhi, fx_landing, and fx_vclighth files. I used the white nav or landing lights to provide the point of light from the fuselage or the underside of the horizontal stabiliser and the vclight to provide the resulting illumination effect. I know this is usually done by LM BMPs but I wanted something switchable and more realistic so I decided to try this and was pleased by the results. All this is preliminary, the result of a couple hours work and subject to much more refinement (the exact locations of such lights on the real aircraft and possibly separate effects files and xml switches come to mind), but for anyone who is interested here is the CFG lighting section:[LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpitlight.0=3, -30.10, -42.00, 5.00, fx_navred ,light.1=3, -30.10, 42.00, 5.00, fx_navgre ,light.2=2, -29.90, 41.70, 5.00, fx_strobeh ,light.3=2, -29.90, -41.70, 5.00, fx_strobe ,light.4=1, -65.00, 0.00, 18.40, fx_beacon ,light.5=4, -7.910, 0.00, 2.64, fx_vclight,light.6=2, -68.50, 0.00, 2.00, fx_strobeh ,light.7=1, -68.30, 0.00, 1.90, fx_navwhi , light.9=1, -67.00, -4.00, 16.80, fx_vclighth ,light.10=1, -67.00, 4.00, 16.80, fx_vclighth , light.11=1, -67.00, -4.00, 17.25, fx_navwhi ,light.12=1, -67.00, 4.00, 17.25, fx_navwhi ,light.13=1, -22.00, -3.92, 2.00, fx_landing ,light.14=1, -22.00, 3.92, 2.00, fx_landing ,light.15=3, -28.40, -9.30, 6.00, fx_vclighth, light.16=3, -28.40, 9.30, 6.00, fx_vclighth , light.17=3, -28.40, -9.30, 3.00, fx_vclighth , light.18=3, -28.40, 9.30, 3.00, fx_vclighth , light.19=1, -22.40, -10.70, 3.00, fx_vclighth , light.20=1, -22.40, 10.70, 3.00, fx_vclighth , If you have a flyable Dash 8 default then paste these into the CFG file (delete the old section after forcefeedback and paste these in its place) to see if you like the effect. If you don't have a flyable Dash 8 default and want one then open the airfile with AirEd and change the second entry: 105 Aircraft Type=2 - change the 2 to a 0. the Dash 8 will then show up in the select aircraft menu but will need a decent panel, sound folder, and airfile to be enjoyable. The first two are available for download at several websites, along with many textures. I am working on the airfile although several of them are available as well.With so many lights I decided to add some lines to the CFG electrical section to be safe:max_battery_voltage=24.0generator_alternator_voltage=28.0max_generator_alternator_amps=360.0These are from CFS2 aircraft CFG files, I added them because I have experienced TOTAL electrical failures after adding lights to FS2002 aircraft, usually, and diabolically these failures have occurred on final approach so I increased the max generator output to 360 amps which by my calculations is more than twice the full load current draw not counting surges. I wonder - does the FS2002 program even allow for surges? At any rate I have had no problems during a short test flight. If you find it otherwise, increase the output. With other aircraft this many lights may not be necessary, most of these are related to the ice lights, I kept adding them in different locations until I was satisfied with the effect. The KingAir, which I used to proof the view from inside the cockpit mentioned below, only needed ONE vclight on each side for really great illumination inside and out. Go figure! In addition to the above, for aircraft with wing views in either 2D or 3D cockpits, the vclight effect will illuminate the wing or engine nacelle so that from inside either cockpit you can check for the dreaded ice accumulation that I can assure you will not be found, until someone smarter than I am creates an effects file to put it there. I have checked and found this to be true with the Microsoft KingAir, hopefully it will work with other defaults and addon aircraft as well. Related to this, you may enable viewing of all navigation, strobe, beacon, and landing lights from the cockpit by adding these lines to the relevant effects file:Cockpit=1VirtualCockpit=1Simply open the file with wordpad and near the top add these lines under the properties section, it should then look like this:[Properties]Cockpit=1VirtualCockpit=1Spot=1Tower=1Map=1Now your exterior lights will be visible when you have a look "outside". A word of caution, you may not want to enable this on the rotating beacon, depnding on its location it may flash inside the cockpit and drive you mad.

Guest bartels

I'm no expert in modelling, but if you really want a switchable logo light, you might try the event TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS in a XML or C gauge and check out if there are light numbers above the published e.g.//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit,5=logolight.0=5, -30.10, -42.00, 5.00, fx_navred ,...I'm not if it is 5 or any higher number, try it.Arne BartelsP.S. it might be possible that you can select a key for LOGO_LIGHTS, but I'm not sure

Surges may be possible in FS. With my EIS I am able to display the digital values for load. It does appear like a strange counter instead of a amperage, but I guess that is as close as they get. When you adjust electrical flaps you can see the load increase until they are in position. It might be possible that with all the extra load during the approach your lighting overloaded the electrical system. The voltage will drop with load.One device that I have discovered will go bonkers if it has insufficient voltage is the autopilot. The display will not show anything wrong, but it will just stop controlling as if the drive motors are too weak to do anything.I will be saving this message for future use.Steve

I added a navlight fx line to the lights section. Set the type to 5 and 6 and niether produced any controllable light with a LogoLights switch added to the panel from the CPT package.I did check the 777-300 and it does have a logo light on the tail. It is apparently a GMAX based landing light aimed at the tail because it switches on and off with the landing light switch.Steve

Guest bartels

A preliminary list of lights://Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit ,7=recognition ,8=wing, 9=logoArne Bartels

Decided to post these three screenshots showing the illumination effects (ice & logo) on the Dash 8-100. The lights ARE switchable using the default assignments nav, beacon, etc. I was just wondering if a logo light or other switch type was possible in FS2002 without it being a part of the aircraft MDL file, but I don't have the time these days to investigate. The 777-300 logo effect looks like a gmax lighting effect to me also, and I don't find a switch for it in the cockpit either. The effects shown below could also be tied to the landing light switch, the lighting type number would be 5=landing.

Yes, that switches the fx logo light I made on and off from the panel.I did a text search of all .cfg files presently in FS and none of them had the string 'logo' in them and did not want to go any further.Steve

Guest bartels

nice to know so it is://Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit ,5=landing,6=taxi,7=recognition ,8=wing, 9=logoArne Bartels

Here is my complete [light] section from the 421B.light.0=3, 4.125, -20.40, 0.65, fx_c421b_navred ,light.1=3, 4.125, 20.40, 0.65, fx_c421b_navgreen ,light.2=3, -20.525, 0.00, 1.45, fx_c421b_navwhite ,light.3=2, 4.170, -20.40, 0.65, fx_c421b_strobe ,light.4=2, 4.170, 20.40, 0.65, fx_c421b_strobe ,light.5=1, -20.100, 0.00, 8.80, fx_c421b_tailbeacon ,light.6=1, 0.100, 0.00, -2.00, fx_c421b_bellybeacon ,light.7=4, 1.500, -1.15, 1.00, fx_c421b_vclight,light.8=4, 1.500, 1.15, 1.00, fx_c421b_vclight, light.9=7, -6.600, -2.40, 0.40, fx_c421b_courtesylight, light.10=7, -2.500, -8.20, -0.80, fx_c421b_courtesylight2,light.11=7, -2.500, 8.20, -0.80, fx_c421b_courtesylight2,light.12=5, 10.000, 14.00 -3.50, fx_c421b_landinglight,light.13=8, 9.000, -18.50, 9.50, fx_c421b_icelight ,light.14=8, 9.000, 18.50, 9.50, fx_c421b_icelight ,light.15=7,-19.300, -0.45, 5.12, fx_c421b_taillight,light.16=7,-19.300, 0.45, 5.12, fx_c421b_taillight,If used "as intended", one shouldn't come across the problem of overlapping light sources.The reasoning behind two types of beacon effects used, is that the tailbeacon actually lights up (check with default aircraft) the aircraft (and virtual cockpit), while the bellybeacon has a different type to it, removing the lightning effect (and horrible flashing in VC).Since the panel is quite wide, I opted to go for two vclights, to get a more even illumination spread on the lights - instead of a single one that renders the center of the panel way too bright and the rest nearly invisible.The courtesy lights are lights on the door/stair and inside each wing locker baggage compartment (just for fun).Icelights are placed over the wings and has the obvious intention on checking ice buildup at night. The model isn't there yet, but ice DOES build up, and is fully possible to boot off (absolutely HORRIBLE to code btw). So it has an actual purpose, not just sitting there being fancy :DThe taillight is just a logo-like light, not sure to include it in the end. We might need that extra circuit for something else.Remember to add a fitting electrical section, but be prepared that the system not always work (as I expected anyway).Oh, a little something different, but the smokesystem is used to show "pushed away water" behind the wheels on a wet or snowy hard surface.A study on default effects and the special effects SDK could come in handy if you plan to do your own effects.

>Surges may be possible in FS. With my EIS I am able to >display the digital values for load. It does appear like a >strange counter instead of a amperage, but I guess that is >as close as they get.This "counter" could be the charge put into the battery by the alternators if battery power is not maxed. It will continue to "count" until max battery power is restored.>When you adjust electrical flaps you >can see the load increase until they are in position.Perhaps by the same amount as you have for the flap motor in the electrical section of the aircraft.cfg? ;) But I haven't got all of these "circuits" to work very well (long time ago).

>I'm no expert in modelling, but if you really want a >switchable logo light, you might try the event >TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS in a XML or C gauge and check out if >there are light numbers above the published I believe that TOGGLE_LOGO_LIGHTS is tied to the Material Name LIGHT_LOGO in the .mdl file: "A logo point light is drawn, and the diffuse color is the light color."I've been using Material Name LIGHT_NAV in a similar way to place two, fixed, non-blinking white lights on the wing tips. On the Socata, these are position so that they will only be seen from the rear, whereas the red/green recognition lights are seen from the front.There are actually quite a few Material Named Lights available to use in the .mdl file, without resorting to the effects-type lighting...It can all get so confusing at times! :) Typical MS-SDK though...LIGHT_BEACONLIGHT_STROBELIGHT_RECOLIGHT_WINGLIGHT_LOGOLIGHT_NAV