Sign in to follow this  

Blurry aircraft

Why is it that when I paint an aircraft, the texture looks fine in Paint Shop, but when viewed in FS2k2, they are blurry? I have lots of downloaded, repainted aircraft that have crisp textures, but mine always seem fuzzy. I've used both DXTbmp and Imagetool but the results are the same. I repainted an ERJ 140 in American Eagle livery but used some of the textures from an ERJ 135. The textures I used from the 135 showed up nice and crisp, but the textures I repainted were blurry, both on the same aircraft. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.ThanksRay

Guest Stefanosg

It may have to do with your pallette size. I believe sim forces the image to be 512x512. I may not be 100% accurate on this, but in any case, your textures may be getting stretched or shrunken by sim, therefore creating the distorted textures.

The palette size on all my textures is 1024x1024. In my earlier example, the textures from both the ERJ 135 and my own textures were the same, but my textures showed up blurry where the "untouched" ERJ 135 textures were crisp and sharp.Ray

I am not a pro in texture-technologies, but I wold recommend (if it's a gmax A/C) that you use DXT3 converted textures (white alpha won't give reflections, and textures still won't blur). And don't forget NOT to produce mipmaps.

Well, I have been using DXT3 converted textures, but I also have been using mipmaps. Maybe that's the problem. I'll get rid of the mopmaps and see if that helps. ThanksRay

To Xomer, Just to let you know, I got rid of the mipmaps and VOILA, no more blurries. Thanks for the idea. Ray