Sign in to follow this  

Cessna C310R preview

That's really looking nice! I guess I'll soon have another twin GA for the hanger! :)

Thanks :) what method did you use on the TB20 for the VC back lighting?

Hmm...that looks like a Saab logo on the tail. Well, they make a good looking Cessna anyway...nice work so far,Matt

Guest DanWalloch

HOLLY COW!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! GREAT JOB so far! I can't wait to fly it!

Looking great so far!!! Did you do the pilot models? if so how many Polys are they? I am trying to build models for one of my planes right now, but just can't get the poly count low enough.ThanksAl

I am using the pilots that came with the Piper Cherokee gmax file...

>Thanks :) what method did you use on the TB20 for the VC >back lighting? Do a search in the forum for VC Gauge Backlighting for a mini-tutorial on how to do the backlighting.There are two techniques used. The first involves switchable bitmaps in the gauges themselves (controled by an instrument light switch) for the 2d panel, and the second illuminates the VC gauges to resemble the 2d view, utilizing a 'self illuminating bitmap mask' in the gmax (or FSDS2) model file.

Al,the Stratoliner looks great. Did you make the altimiter gauge? I am in need of a simple altimeter in the old black and white style without all those color coded sections and fancy stuff the Cessna has. I borrowed one from the sailplane, but it is a bit worn looking.The aircraft I am designing actually takes a cue from the Rutan's Voyager. My engine instruments are based on an article I have about how they chose a bank of simple analog gauges each using an warning indicator light beside it to draw attention should the gauge indicate out of a pre defined range. This was chosen instead of a fancy computerized display.I have a pilot that odog sent me. It was very helpful in positioning items in the virtual cockpit. I did not know the Piper had figures, must have missed them when poking about in there.Steve

Thanks for the comments on the Stratoliner.The gauge in it's present state is a holding place for a new gauge I am woking on. So no it is not designed by me.Is the plane you are working on a Canard? or front wing AC?The reason I ask is that Flight Dynamics for Canard AC in FS take abit getting used to. Al

Guest CX001

Al, the B-307 is coming allong great! I am surprised at one huge erro, though. The B-307 does not have flaps like the ones you have modeled. Check out any pic of any B-17 or B-307 with it's flaps down and you'll see what I mean.

To Al,Don't worry, the flaps are fine. He may be thinking of the Boeing Model 299 (B-17 prototype) which shared the same wing design as the Model 300 (unpressurised) and the production Model 307's. The Model 299 and all B-17 variants that followed used the split flap design in which a hinged panel would extend from the underside only of the wing. This design provided a lot of drag and not much lift. The Model 307 Stratoliner incorporated TWO different flap designs, Pan American 307's had plain fabric covered flaps, while TWA Model 307's employed the fancier Fowler types made famous by Lockheed. Fowler flaps are of course ubiquitous today, but were quite the innovation in the 1930's.External hinges below the wing distinguish the Fowler type from its plainer relative when the flaps are retracted. Most of this information comes from Airpower magazine September 1998 Vol. 28 No.5 which had a long in depth article about this airplane. It's probably available in back issue if you are interested, just pick up a current copy of Airpower or Wings and check out the ad for back issues (usually inside the front cover page). After viewing the screenshots on your website it looks as though your Stratoliner has Fowler flaps, and let me also say it looks amazing, a perfect rendition of one of my all-time favorite airplanes. I don't download many aircraft, but as far as this one is concerned I can't wait to have one of my own. I'm going get it set up in cruise flight, look out the side window at that big Wright Cyclone and spinning prop and dream of earlier (and somewhat friendlier) days!