Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eugen

Introduction and product proposal

Hi all,First, lemme introduce myself, as I just joined the forum. My name is Dave Scofield. I joined up because I'm looking for something specific, and someone here may be able to help.My day gig is programming, which I've been doing for several years now. While I do a lot of ASP/SQL stuff, my main gig is Delphi. I used to work in Delphi R&D at Borland for several years. (If you own Delphi 1, 2, 4 or 5, you can see my name in the About box if you know how to see the list of developers.) Anyway - here's my situation.I would like to develop and release (as freeware) a Delphi Gauge SDK. I think there's a lot of Delphi programmers out there who would willingly jump into the gauge development pool if there was a good SDK aimed at them.In order for me to be able to pull off this project, I need someone to be a technical advisor/consultant. This person has to be extremely well-versed in C, and also in developing gauges. I need this person because while my Delphi skills are up to the task, my C skills are horrendous. There are parts of the SDK that I need to have explained to me in technical (but conceptual) terms, such that I can translate those concepts into Delphi. The only commitment I would need from someone is to be available via email, to answer technical questions. This person would, of course, be given due credit in the SDK. (The main areas of help that I need have to do with preprocessor directives and macros - those sorts of goodies).Included in the SDK would be full source to a sample (but useful) gauge that I already have the idea for, as well as docs, and whatever tools might be developed for making the process easier.Please contact me here, or via private message or email if you're interested in discussing the project in more detail.Thanks,Dave Scofield(my email should be available to registered members)

Hi Dave,If you haven't already download the appropiate SDKs from MS:http://www.microsoft.com/games/fs2000/devdesk.asphttp://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.aspAlso download the excellent tutorial's by Dai Griffiths from the AVSIM or FLTSIM libraries:sd2gau13.zipI do have a question about the Borland 5.5 free command-line compiler. Borland indicates they issued two updates to this compiler. When you open update 1, it shows that it is for 5.0 with dates earlier than the release dates for the 5.5 version. Is this a boo-boo on their part? Update 2 seems to be correct.

>I would like to develop and release (as freeware) a Delphi >Gauge SDK. I think there's a lot of Delphi programmers out >there who would willingly jump into the gauge development >pool if there was a good SDK aimed at them. I encouraged Dave to come here seeking help with this project, since I would be interested in another tool to develop complex, compiled gauges, using a more 'friendly' format than C++.I have neither the time nor the inclination to attempt deciphering the rather archaic and arcane construction techniques for the current C and C++ compilers, not to mention (re)learning enough C++ to obtain the needed results.As fine as XML is for most of my needs, it would be nice to have a more 'designer friendly' method for complex, vector graphic type gauges... :)

Mr. W,Thanks for your comments, but I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I don't want the SDK (which I already have), I want to produce a new SDK, for Delphi programmers.As for your question about 5.5 compiler, I'm sorry but I don't have any information on it. I think they released that after I left Borland, and I really don't know anything about the package.Dave

Guest Eugen

Sounds like a great idea!Eugen delphi fan